Friday, April 27, 2018

April 27, 2018 Lunch – Salmon Salad Dinner – Chicken Mole with Stewed Chayote


April 27, 2018 Lunch – Salmon Salad  Dinner – Chicken Mole with Stewed Chayote

I went to the garden and picked a large basket of lettuce. Which I rinsed and spun and put in the fridge to chill.

I diced a tomato, ½ cucumber, 1 avocado, ¼ red onion sliced, 2 radishes, and ¼ lb. of poached salmon.  We each filled a pasta bowl with chilled lettuce and ½ of the other ingredients.  I added juice of ½ lemon and ¼ cup of olive oil to the continuous salad dressing and shuck it to mix and dressed the salads.

We poured glasses of Sauvignon Blanc and carried them with the salads to the gazebo in the garden where we enjoyed a lovely quiet lunch.

I then drove Suzette to the airport to catch a plane to visit her family.

I then went home and took a nap until 2:15, when I rode to Montano and back.

I had bought eight chicken thighs at El Super for $.97/lb. on Wednesday that I wanted to cook.  Since I bought several beautiful Chayote also on Wednesday, I decided to stew several Chayote as a vegetable to go with the mole.  I had a container of prepared mole that I had also bought at El Super.  The mole directions suggested diluting the prepared mole sauce with chicken stock.  To create some stock I de-skinned the thighs and boiled them for ½ hour.  I sautéed ½ onion in a few dashes of sesame oil with a dash of ground cinnamon and achiote and ¼ cup of chopped almonds.

I de-boned the meat from the chicken thighs.

I then added about 1 cup of prepared mole to the skillet in which I had  softened the onions and then 2 to three cups of chicken stock.  I used a whisk to mix the mole sauce until it became smooth and creamy and then simmered it on its lowest heat level.

I then peeled and sliced two Chayote and simmered them in the remaining chicken broth that also contained three dried quajillo chili’s and ¼ cup of onion with enough water added to cover the Chayote slices to which I added a diced Roma tomato, a ¼ cup of diced fresh epazote for 45 minutes.

Here is the recipe I followed for stewing the Chayote:

Stewed Chayote with Tomato and Epazote 

Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Stewed Chayote with Tomato and Epazote recipe from Food Network
Directions Peel the chayotes and cut them into 1/4inch julienne, including the core and seeds. Set aside. In a blender jar, combine the tomatoes and garlic and blend for a few seconds, until...


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds chayote (about 2 medium)
  • 2 small tomatoes, roasted (see Note)
  • 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
  • 3 Arbol chiles
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons roughly chopped epazote leaves
While the Chayote slices were boiling, I tasted the mole and found it a little too picante.  So, after looking at a recipe for mole I added two handfuls of raisins and a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  That made the mole perfectly flavored for me.


I cooked the mole for about ½ hour and then ate two pasta bowls of chicken mole and stewed Chayote.  Both dishes were very delicious and very simple to prepare.





Bon Appetit  

No comments:

Post a Comment