Wednesday, September 11, 2019

September 9, 2014 Lunch – PPI Sashimi Dinner – Grilled Steak and Roasted Vegetables

September 9, 2014 Lunch – PPI Sashimi    Dinner – Grilled Steak and Roasted Vegetables

Patty made me a shake of Pro-Cal for breakfast and we went to court.

Here is the view in the morning from her deck of Elephant Butte Lake.





 I was unable to sustain my motion for a continuance so the court issued the State’s requested injunction.

I will now need to learn a bit more law and move for a supersedeas bond in this Court and then the Court of Appeals.

After court I talked to Steve, my client, and Patty and then drove the two hours back to Albuquerque, arriving at around 3:00.  I drove to Costco to re-fill the gas tank and drove home and ate the PPI sashimi and Squid salad and seaweed salad for a delicious lunch that had more raw fish that a regular Chirashi lunch at any restaurant.

I then thawed out a bone-in rib steak from the fridge freezer and rested.  The market has been slowly creeping upward, which is interesting.  We must be approaching some resolution in world affairs.  I know that is true in England.  The House of Commons has tried to prevent Boris Johsnon from crashing England out of the EU, at least, and the Chinese have set dates for meeting with the U.S. for trade talks.

We will see.

I got my annual report from the bank in India and it had another year of growth and profitability, so that investment is doing well.

I drove to Smith’s and bought a 5 lb. bag of nice Idaho russet potatoes for $1.99 to bake with the steaks and a slab of pork ribs at $1.29, and a dozen eggs for $109.  The disruption in trade with China is really helping lower some American produced food prices in the U.S.

When Suzette came home we discussed whether she wanted a baked potato with steak for dinner.  Suzette suggested we use some of the eggplants we picked at the Alverson/Beans house last Sunday and roast a medley of vegetables.  So, Suzette and I cubed a rosa eggplant, the Brussels sprouts I bought at Sprouts last week, six or seven asparagus, several cloves of garlic, two potatoes, and an onion and piled them high into a large pyrex baking dish, which she salted and peppered and doused with olive oil and baked in the oven covered with aluminum foil.





In an hour, after Suzette grilled the steak to medium rare, we were ready to eat our simple dinner.  I wanted a good bottle of wine and I tried the new bottle of 2014 Gitana Spanish Tempranillo from Rioja, Spain I bought at Costco recently that was rated 94 points by Wine Spectator.  It was amazing; a floral bouquet and smooth flavor that got better as it sat open in the bottle while we ate.  I will look to buy more of it to age in the cellar.

Here is the Wine Enthusiast notes for its 91 rating and other ratings are 92, so a great wine.

Leathery berry and animal aromas blend nicely into savory plum and berry scents to form a good nose. A tight, drawn-in palate is a bit hard, although there's no complaints with this Rioja's energy level. Saucy, slightly salty tomato and red plum flavors finish with earthy notes. This is a classic Rioja in every sense; drink through 2025.

As I said, the wine’s palate opened up after about an hour uncorked and it smoothed out and tasted smoother and softer.

We had a simple dinner of steak and roasted vegetables with a bit of catsup to dip the steak into with a great wine.





Suzette brought home peaches but she did not make cobbler tonight.  We had seconds of the vegetables and steak instead and passed on dessert.

A wonderful meal because of the flavor of the roasted ripened eggplant and asparagus and great wine, just short of greatness.

Bon Appetit  

1 comment: