Thursday, September 5, 2019

September 4, 2019 Lunch – Costco Hotdog Dinner – Boiled and Sautéed Sweet Italian Sausages with Boiled Corn on the Cob, Bean Salad and Japanese Pickled Vegetables


September 4, 2019 Lunch – Costco Hotdog   Dinner – Boiled and Sautéed Sweet Italian Sausages with Boiled Corn on the Cob, Bean Salad and Japanese Pickled Vegetables

Things got back to normal today.  I left the hotel at 9:30 after drafting a status report for the water case.

When I arrived home the construction crews were replacing all the furniture and art that had been moved for the shoot.

I made myself a bowl of granola, yougurt, milk, and blueberries for breakfast.  The construction crews worked until 12:30 and installed the new IKEA fixture in the foyer.  When they left and I drove to Costco and ate a hotdog and checked with the Pharmacy on a prescription.  I then drove to Sprouts at Academy and San Mateo and bought Sweet Italian sausages for $2.99/lb., an eggplant for $.99, yogurt, blueberries for $1.25 for 6 oz., peaches for $.50/lb., lovely green beans for $1.99/lb., Brussels sprouts for $1.99/lb., and yellow squash for $.88/lb.

I drove back to Costco to fill the gas tank and then across the street to Home Depot to purchase the light bulbs for the new light fixture.

When I arrived at home Michael was talking to a policeman who had responded to our burglar alarm.  I told them there was a problem and I had called the burglar alarm service to come fix it.  Michael left shortly thereafter after the last rubber mat covering the floor and rugs was loaded and things officially returned to normal.

I thinly sliced the daikon I bought at Talin last week and a carrot and added them to the bowl of Japanese pickled vegetables.

Then I called Willy and invited him to dinner at 6:30 and then filed my Reply by 5:00.

The Market rebounded today.  Some folks must be making a fortune, buying on the dips and selling on the rebounds.

When Suzette arrived, at 5:45 we quickly decided to cook the sausages and the ears of corn I bought last week at Sprouts 5 for $1.00 and serve it with the bean salad we made for the Sunday night fireworks feast at the Alverson/Beans.

I fetched the last four bottles of Modelo Negra beer from the garage.

Boiled and Sautéed Sausages

We cooked the sausages in a special manner.  First we lay them in a medium skillet and boiled them in beer filled to a depth ½ way up the sausage and then turned them to fully immerse the sausages in beer.  Then Suzette cooked the beer down and added butter and the slices of a medium onion and sautéed the sausages and the onion slices in the butter and residue of beer.  This created a slight flavor to the onion and sausage. 

Suzette filled a pot with water and heated it to the boil and added the five husked ears of corn.

 I then started filling the table with bottles of condiments, Grey Poupon mustard, mayonnaise, Long’s Horseradish, Suzette’s mint and cilantro sauce, and catsup.

I turned on the Democratic Town Meeting on CNN at 6:00 and Willy arrived at 6:30 and dinner was served around 7:00.

We looked at the Agenda for the City Council and Willy thought the liquor regulation would not be heard, so we watched the town halls for a while.  Each of the ten candidates answered questions for about 20 minutes each.  I enjoyed the format because it allowed one to focus solely on each candidate.  The topic was the environment.

We drank beer with dinner.  The Japanese Pickled Vegetables were still really sour from the huge proportion of rice vinegar, but the vegetables were still crisp and even the strips of diakon were slightly fermented and very tasty.

After dinner I wanted something a little creamy so I made myself a White Russian with rum, Kahlua, and milk.

We went to bed at 9:30 after the town hall coverage ended.

It is wonderful to get back to normal.

Bon Appetit

1 comment:

  1. I’ve never cooked sausage like that in beer - plan to try it next time. Thanks

    ReplyDelete