Monday, September 23, 2019

September 23, 2019 Lunch – American Breakfast. Dinner – Sautéed Hake and pole beans

September 23, 2019 Lunch – American Breakfast. Dinner – Sautéed Hake and pole beans

I showed the property this morning and this afternoon.  After the morning showing I went to the bank and then to El Super to replenish our produce.  I bought oranges, papaya, pineapple, and a green mango for a tropical fruit salad.  Then I bought yellow onions, sour cream, green onions, radishes, Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, bananas, limes, lemons, an avocado, celery, chayotes, and cilantro.  It is time to do some cooking.

Tomorrow Suzette wants to make grilled steak and sautéed sushito peppers.  I will probably bake several potatoes and we may cook poke beans again.

When I finally got home it was after 11:00 and I was hungry, so I decided to fry the last three slices of bacon and two eggs.  After I fried the bacon, I poured off the grease and added about ½ T. Of butterto the skillet plus about 2 T. Of the eggplant and yellow squash blend from last night’s dinner, plus the about ¼ cup of PPI black beans, chives and garlic and sautéed them for a while.  I whisked two egg whites and one egg yolk and a few dashes of Mexican Hot sauce added that to the skillet and scrambled everything together.  The result was a nasty looking mess, but very tasty.



At 4:00 I became hungry again, so I made myself two open faced sandwiches on toasted slices of rye bread, one with mayo and tomato slices and the other with sour cream and pickled herring.  I put slices of onion on both. Mi really liked them, so I made two more sandwiches and drank a cup of green tea with them.


When Suzette came home at 4:30 I lay down to finish my book club book, House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday.  I liked it a lot because it is about two places I am familiar with, Jemez Pueblo and L.A., especially since we just visited L.A. this last week.

Suzette came to get me to help make dinner at 6:30.  I filleted the hake steak into two filets while Suzette snapped the ends of a handful of pole beans.  She then sautéed the fish in one skillet covered to steam the top and the beans in another skillet.





When the fish was cooked she lay each filet on a fresh Hoja Santa leaf, like they did at Audrey’s at the Hammar in L.A. last Wednesday evening with a grilled sea bass filet.

I loved the dinner and enjoyed the fresh sautéed pole beans, although several larger ones were to tough to swallow.



We drank the rest of the bottle of 2018 Belles Vigne with dinner.  At 7:00 we watched the Ken Burns documentary on Country Music on PBS.  Suzette heated two Swedish desserts during the show.  I drank a cup of tea with my dessert.

Suzette went to bed at 9:00 when the show ended.  I stayed up to work and blog.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment