Thursday, June 29, 2017

June 28, 2017. Lunch – PPI BBQ and grilled zucchini and chayote Dinner – New Recipe. Roasted pig’s stomach stuffed with russet potatoes and Italian sausage


June 28, 2017. Lunch – PPI BBQ and grilled zucchini and chayote
Dinner – New Recipe. Roasted pig’s stomach stuffed with russet potatoes and Italian sausage

We did not ride this morning so I did not eat breakfast.

I decided to eat some of PPI BBQ and grilled chayote and zucchini for lunch.

I filed two motions with the Court of Appeals today and returned home at 5:00.

Suzette showed me the pig stomach and we decided that I knew nothing about cooking a pig stomach.  Suzette said, “My Mom used to make this all the time.”

So I went to meditate with some knowledge that something interesting awaited me for dinner.

When I returned home at 7:00, we opened a bottle of 2015 Ferme Julien Rose’ and sip a glass of wine and waited until 7:15.  I chose Ferme Julien because it has a little more body and character than Crayon, which we thought would stand up to the fuller flavor of the sausage.





Suzette cut through the middle of the stomach to check the doneness.  The cubed potatoes were still not cooked.  We added water to the roasting pan to create some steam to help cook the potatoes, basted the open edge of the dish with liquid,  and returned the stomach to the oven for another 45 minutes at 375 degrees.







Suzette also poached some of the Pear we peeled and diced in Pasando Tiempo Cabernet Sauvignon with a bit of sugar.  The pears had a slightly cinnamon flavor.

After another 45 minutes the outside of the stomach had taken on a dark brown color and crisped considerably.  Suzette announced that the potatoes had cooked and we were ready to eat.  She sliced ½ into two slices and added five or six asparagus she had steamed to each plate.  I poured out the rest of the bottle of rose’ and we carried our plate and glass of wine to the table in the garden gazebo.
















The dish was rather ordinary in flavor in my opinion; simply a loaf of potatoes, onion, and Italian sweet sausage packed into a stomach, that is trussed close, and baked, but the presentation was terrific, as the stomach formed a bowl from which one scooped the firm loaf of ingredients.

The dish reminded me of firm jambalaya with sausage that is baked into a cake in consistency.

I tried to eat a bit of the crisper portion of  stomach encasing and found it hard to chew, although it had a slight flavor of roasted meat.

I kept asking myself, “Did I miss something here?”

But, Suzette assured me, “This is exactly the way my Mother used to make it.”

We watched Rachel Maddow, who seems to have recovered completely from her illness, because she is back to her usual cognitive power of analysis.  Alternatively, having just finished the Rolling Stone interview with her and discovered her educational background was an undergraduate degree from Stanford and a doctoral degree in political science from Cambridge, I may simply be more aware of her capacity for higher level political analytics.  She surely discusses some interesting political issues that are under the radar of normal news media.

I noticed a rather strong black pepper flavor in the dish, which Suzette attributed to the sausage, but I woke up at 3:00 in the morning burping. Perhaps the burping is a reaction to the black pepper or my deep dive into Traditional German Cuisine.  I do remember a similar experience in Heidelberg in 1968 to a dinner of weinerschnitzel and fried potatoes with brown sauce on them, but that time it was probably just the grease talking.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment