Tuesday, June 20, 2017

June 18, 2017 Brunch – scrambled eggs and bacon Jim Fish’s Memorial. Dinner – Lamb Chops, tzatziki, tabouli and baked sweet potato.


June 18, 2017  Brunch – scrambled eggs and bacon   Jim Fish’s Memorial.  Dinner – Lamb Chops, tzatziki, tabouli and baked sweet potato.

I started the day by eating ½ bagel with slices of Lax, onion, and Roma tomato and watching the Sunday Morning news programs and the Tour of Switzerland final stage.

Then Suzette made scrambled eggs with bacon, garlic and 1\2 of a shallot.

    

Then we rode to Rio Bravo.  It was a warm day by 11:00 when we rode, which caused us to exert a bit more than usual, so we showered and rested when we returned home.  At 2:30 we drove to Anasazi Winery in Placitas for Jim Fish’s Memorial.  There were over 100 persons in a large shed at the winery.  We stayed about an hour during which members of a Placitas poetry society gave readings of poems by and about Jim.  One member sang a newly created song, the verse of which included. Jim Fish was a Renaissance man.  Jim was a Renaissance man.  I met him when he and Doug Scott helped Roger Alink and me create the Wildlife West Animal Park in Edgewood in the early 80’s.  I would talk to him at Vine and Wine Society tastings of his Anasazi Vineyards’ wines over the years.  His wine progressed from fully dry fruit wines to blends of fruit wine and grape wine.  Today I tasted a lovely light cherry and Syrah blend.  Folks brought dishes.  We ate chunks of chicken, spiced beef, slices of chicken and roast beef rolled around a soft white cheese, and salad.

    



Suzette made me split a delicious chocolate chip cookie.

After the poetry ended we drove back home  and I rested a bit.  Then  Suzette pitted and cooked the apricots we had picked from Megan's tree yesterday with a bit of sugar.  



At 5:30 I woke up when Willy called to tell me that he was coming over at 6:00.  Suzette sliced the red sweet potato and dotted the top of the slices with butter and placed them in a Pyrex loaf pan with a bit of water , covered the pan with Saran and baked the sweet potato in the microwave oven.

I then began pitting the four types of cherries Suzette had bought at the Farmers’ Market on Saturday from growers from Chimayo with the help first of Willy and then Suzette who pulled the stems out of the cherries, so I could easily pit them.

I added about 2 T. of cognac to the cherries and covered them with Saran Wrap and put them in the fridge.

We then ate dinner.  Suzette heated three of the lamb chops and we each served ourselves tzatziki and tabouli and the baked sweet potato slices.

I fetched a bottle of H & H Chateaunuef du Pape.  The wine was lovely light yet complex.

Clafoutis

After dinner I made the clafoutis.  I started by buttering a ceramic baking dish ad then coating the butter with sugar.  Then I scalded three cups of milk and 1/3 cup of heavy cream.  While the milk was heating, I measured 6 T. of flour, ½ tsp. of salt, and 10 T. of powdered sugar into a large mixing owl.  I then added four eggs and beat them into the dry ingredients.  Then I added the scalded milk in three or four pours and stirred to uniformly mix it into the batter.  Finally I poured the batter into the buttered baking dish and then the cherries.  I placed the baking dish on a baking tray into a 375 degree oven and baked the custard for 50 minutes.  At the end of 50 minutes, the middle was firm and the top a golden brown, so I knew it was fully cooked.  The combination of yellow, blush red, dark purple, and blush yellow cherries made a particularly lovely clafoutis.

We ate bowls of clafoutis for dessert topped with whipped cream and watched several episodes of Silicon Valley on HBO.

Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment