Saturday, June 3, 2017

June 2, 2017 Lunch – East Ocean. Dinner – East Ocean

June 2, 2017 Lunch – East Ocean. Dinner – East Ocean

I had a telephonic hearing at 11:00 that was over about noon.

I drove to East Ocean at 12:30 and ordered Moo Goo Gai Pan without rice, which is my new favorite dish now that I have reduced my rice consumption.

I ate about half of it. Boxed the balance and drove to resume the hotel Closing.  We closed at 3:54 and then disbursed.

I arrived home tired at 4:30 and rested for a while while Suzette was working.   I Loved the vegetables in Mandarin sauce in the Moo Goo Gai Pan, so I suggested we go to East Ocean and eat Roasted Duck ($10.95 for 1/2? Duck) and Fried Tofu with Mixed Vegetables ($7.95 for a heaping platter)

I called in the order before we left home and it was served at the same time as our hot tea.  Suzette has a cold and is not as hardy a diner as usual.  We ate about ½ of the fried tofu and vegetables and a bit more of the duck.  Since I have sworn off rice, I have become more fond of East Ocean’s vegetable medley.  It includes, canned mushroom slices, fresh snow peas, canned water chestnuts, baby corn, and bamboo shoot slices, fresh celery, onion, and bok choy.  I suspect the fried tofu is purchased pre-prepared.  You can buy it pre-prepared at a Talin, if you want to make your own, but it needs to be used soon after you buy it.  I have found that it does not have a very long shelf life.   It is stir fried and sauced with a thickened chicken stock sauce.  I love the variety of the vegetables and I find the dish very satisfying without any rice.

We tried once to find the least expensive way to prepare duck.  We bought ducks and prepared them.  Suzette bought duck breasts in bulk.  We finally determined that for a quick, delicious duck dinner that the best value was to order Roast Duck at East Ocean. The texture of the meat is tender while the skin is crisp with lots of areas of Super crispy duck skin.  It is actually a tea smoked duck and is served with a light smoked tea sauce, which is probably the cooking medium.



 

East Ocean is the type of restaurant that if you asked for the traditional accompaniments to roast duck: Mandarin pancakes, hoisin sauce, and shredded scallions, I bet you could get them.

We loved dinner.  Where else can two persons eat roasted duck and fried tofu and vegetables to their fill for less than $20.00?

We boxed the uneaten duck and vegetables and tofu and went home happy.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment