Monday, June 12, 2017

June 11, 2017 Brunch – Steak, Mushrooms, and Eggs Lunch – Dungeness crab and steamed asparagus Dinner – Grilled Halibut, sautéed Snow peas, potato salad, and mango salsa

June 11, 2017 Brunch – Steak, Mushrooms, and Eggs   Lunch – Dungeness crab and steamed asparagus   Dinner – Grilled Halibut, sautéed  Snow peas, potato salad, and mango salsa

A big food and sports day.  It started with yogurt, granola, milk, and blueberries with Nadal’s commanding victory in the French open.

Then we worked in the garden.  I began to weaken after carting straw and mulching the fruit trees with Suzette and pruning the golden rain tree and harvesting some lavender.  While I watched my news shows Suzette weeded one of the raised beds and planted the poblano chili seeds we had saved from the last poblano chili we ate.

So around 10:45 Suzette sautéed PPI steak and sliced mushrooms and fried an egg to go with them.  I toasted a half of a cheese bagel and smeared it with cream cheese to get some carbs.


Then I chilled a bottle of Gruet 2012 Blanc de Blanc champagne and then rested for an hour.  Suzette read in the hammock in the garden.

At  2:00 we decided to eat the Dungeness crab and some asparagus we bought at Costco yesterday.  I made a cocktail sauce with catsup, horseradish, lemon juice and a touch of mayonnaise to make the sauce creamy.

We ate crab, steamed asparagus and drank a glass of champagne under the gazebo in the garden.

Then I drove to El Super to buy milk.  I also bought baby octopus, Roma tomatoes, more limes, green onions, a watermelon, yogurt, avocados, and chayote.

When I got home I found the TCU v. Missouri State baseball game on ESPN and watched TCU win and advance to the College World Series.  Go Frogs.  I earned my MBA from TCU and my dad graduated from TCU.

When I returned Then at 6:30 game six of the Stanley Cup Finals and the World Cup Qualifying match between the U.S. and Mexico began.  For a while I was switching between the three different channels.  Finally TCU put the game out of reach at 8 to 1, so we were able to concentrate on the hockey and soccer.  At half time in the soccer match at 7:30 we cooked dinner.  I had prepped the chives and snow peas that we picked in the garden and I minced some garlic I picked yesterday and some oregano Suzette picked today plus two green onions left from Willy’s prep of a curried chicken salad he made at our house in the afternoon while I was at the store.  Since Willy brought a head of celery, Suzette made potato salad with the PPI potatoes, mayo, celery, and soft boiled eggs.

After I returned from the store I  made mango salsa with 1/6 of a jalapeño, two ataulfo mangoes, some cilantro, juice of 1 lime, some minced onion, and a diced Roma tomato and covered it with Saran and put it in the fridge.

At 7:30 Suzette made slits in one of the pieces of halibut we bought yesterday and put slices of lemon and butter into them and salted and peppered the halibut and grilled the halibut for about twenty minutes.  After ten minutes I started sautéing the garlic and then the snow peas, oregano, and chives and green onion in butter.  The result was a light delicious sautéed vegetable.

Suzette brought the halibut in and put two pats of butter on the filet and covered the filet with aluminum foil for a couple of minutes to melt the butter and coalesce the juices.

We put the salsa and potato salad on the table and I filleted the halibut and put ½ of the filet on each plate with ½ of the snow peas and poured the champagne into clean glasses and we ate and watched the second half of the U.S./Mexico match that ended in a 1 to 1 tie, which was a great victory for the U.S.

 We then watched Pittsburgh win the Stanley Cup with a goal at 1:35 to go in regular time in Nashville.

At 9:30 we went to bed after a lovely day of food and sports.

Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment