Friday, June 2, 2017

June 1, 2017 Lunch Jimmie John’s sandwich. Dinner – Red Cooked chicken with Stir Fried Chard with piñon Nuts, raisins, Apple, and bacon

June 1, 2017 Lunch Jimmie John’s sandwich. Dinner – Red Cooked chicken with Stir Fried Chard with piñon Nuts, raisins, Apple, and bacon

I had a coffee hot chocolate for breakfast.

Today was spent closing the sale of the hotel transaction I have been working on for almost a year.  We started at 9:15 and by 3:00 it became apparent that it would not close today.  Shane ordered Jimmie John’s sandwiches on his mobile phone.  He ordered four sandwiches and only two were delivered.  The delivery person said the computer system was not working well.  Shane sent the delivery man back to replicate the order so we would have four sandwiches.  This worked out well for me because we split the sandwiches that had been delivered.  One was a sliced turkey and provolone with a bit of avocado on an Italian roll that was very pleasant.  I ate half of this one first.  Then on the second delivery I ate 2/2 of a tuna salad on nine grain whole wheat bread with a slice of provolone and sliced tomatoes.  On the second sandwich the thick homemade tasting bread was the star.  I thought the sandwiches were well made and used fresh ingredients, but it is the first bread I have eaten in several days.  Suzette and I and most of the people I know are on low carb diets.  Traditionally, I do not prosper on a low carb diet, but I am trying it.  That is why I welcomed the sandwiches at lunch.      
         

   

    
 

For dinner I cooked red cooked chicken.  This is a simple recipe from the 1000 Recipe Chinese Cookbook.  I skinned 6 chicken thighs.  Then I heated in a large Le Creuset Casserole 1 cup each of soy sauce, Amontillado sherry, and water and added 1/3 cup of brown sugar.  When that came to a boil I added the six thighs and two slices of fresh ginger and two cloves of garlic and simmered the dish for an hour, turning the chicken pieces after thirty minutes to submerge all parts of the chicken.

Stir Fried Chard with raisins, apple, piñon nuts and bacon

While the chicken was cooking I went to the garden and harvested a basket full of chard and about a dozen garlic scapes.  I de-stemmed the chard and cut the leaves into bite sized pieces and diced two scapes.

I also cored and diced a gala apple and peeled and diced 1/3 of a medium yellow onion.  I also diced about ¼ cup of bacon ends that I had bought at El Super on Wednesday.

I then sat down with a glass of cold Crayon rose’ and a Suzette took over the kitchen duties.


When the chicken was ready Suzette fetched 1/3 cup of raisins and rehydrated them in a bowl of hot water.  She then heated the wok and stir fried the bacon, onion and garlic scapes.  Then she added  the Apple and raisins and finally the chard.  At this point Willy called and Suzette told him what we were cooking and invited him over.  He said he really liked the dish with pine nuts also.

When Willy arrived Suzette plated dinner.  We drank green mint tea and Crayon rose’.
 


Red cooked Chicken is my favorite Chinese recipe for cooking chicken.

Here are the recipes.


The addition of bacon to the chard was wonderful.  It gave the dish a decidedly meat oriented flavor rather than a vegetable oriented flavor, especially since bacon grease was used as the cooking medium.  As Suzette says, “Everything tastes better with bacon.”

During and after dinner we watched the first game of the NBA playoffs.

We were rooting for The Golden State Warriors, who easily beat the Cleveland Cavaliers by twenty points after Curry’s long range shooting got on target.  It was fun to see so many talented players on the court.

This is a fun time of the sports year with both NBA and Stanley Cup finals.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment