Sunday, September 13, 2026

September 13, 2026 Breakfast - Two Men on a Raft Lunch - Mac Sym’s Dinner - Charcuterie

September 13, 2026 Breakfast - Two Men on a Raft  Lunch - Mac Sym’s   Dinner - Charcuterie 


I woke up around 8:00 today. Suzette and Elaine wanted to take the ferry to St. Pierre de Embiez. Today was the day I decided to walk to town and back. I fortified myself with Two men on a raft for breakfast and a cup tea. I sliced slices of the whole wheat Round loaf of bread we bought several days ago toasted one side in a skillet with butter and turned them over and placed an egg in the hole I had dug in each slice and fried the egg on the toast. 





After breakfast we walked down town past the boat collection and I rested and talked to a Californian who had landed from the Wind Star cruise ship that made port in Sanaray today. He really was enjoying the 8 day cruise he was on from Barcelona to Rome. Suzette and Elaine walked down to the shopping area to the antique Brocate. When they returned around 10:45 we lined up for the 11:00 ferry to Embiez.







         The Wind Star cruise ship


Embiez is the island purchased by Paul Richard as his private residence and it is still owned by the family and he and his son are buried on the island.


When we arrived we immediately walked to the










little tourist train that for 9€ trolleyed us around the island.



Long ago it produced salt. During WWII it was occupied by Germans. Richard planted 23 acres of grapes and it now produces wine.


We drank beverages after the train ride returned us to the port and then Suzette and Elaine swam in the Mediterranean while I finished Slow Horses by Nick Herron.




Our Villa sits on the edge of the cliff above the apartments in the trees


At 2:00 we returned to Sanaray and met Billy. Several of us were hungry and we tried to find a restaurant. We were turned away at Hotel de Tour as it was too late to order a full meal. We finally settled on Mac Sum’s b3cause it was offering Mussels with Fried Potatoes for 19€.  The mussels were steamed in herb water instead of herbed wine and lacked flavor even though there was lots of garlic and herbs. The French Fries were really good. Suzette refused to eat the mussels and Elaine ordered cold Octopus salad. So Billy and I gorged on mussels.





After lunch at 4:00 there was a race of restaurant workers and owners with a tray with a glass of wine and a mug of beer around a course laid out in the downtown area that we stayed to watch that was a very spirited event and lots of fun.


We then walked back to the village. I made it all the way up the stairs on one sugar pil, none the worst for ware, but to make sure I drank a glass of Dr. Pepper and ate two squares of chocolate around 5:00 


I then worked in the big puzzle until dinner at 7:00. Billy prepared a charcuterie board with duck pate’, pork pate’, Brie, Tomme de Savoie, goat and Brekis cheeses, slices of melon and figs cut in half plus Cassis and Quince jelly he bought in the market.


We drank the bottle of Bandol red wine we bought at the Bandol Maison du Vin near Castelet the other day.


Billy did a terrific job making the charcuterie and cheese board and it was a splendid dinner.


Tomorrow we will buy more rose’ wine and eat shrimp salad for lunch.


I worked on the puzzle until 10:30 and then blogged this entry.


It is 12:00 and I still feel great. So my body seems to be strengthening from the extra walking.


Bon Appetit







No comments:

Post a Comment