Sunday, April 9, 2023

April 9, 2033 Easter Dinner at Amy and Vahl’s Dinner - Turkey and dressing sandwich.

 April 9, 2033 Easter Dinner at Amy and Vahl’s  Dinner - Turkey and dressing sandwich. 


Today we were invited to Amy and Vahl’s for their traditional Easter Dinner.

I ate one slice of bagel with lax, cream cheese, and red onion around 8:30.

Suzette ate some PPI turkey and dressing with Mayo.


We then drove to Walgreen’s and bought a vase of three beautiful varieties green and orange Dutch tulips, a box of four Lindt chocolate carrots, and a bag of artificial green grass.


When we returned home I put the grass and laid the carrots on the grass in the crocodile basket/box I bought at Stephen’s for Amy and took a bottle of Calstar Cellars 2013 Sangiacomo Pinot Noir for Vahl.


Willy had agreed to drive us at 11:10 but he was late because we were all watching the Arsenal vs. Liverpool match and he was talking to friends in Berlin and San Diego after the fixture that Liverpool managed to tie 2 to 2.


We were assigned the duty to bring wine, so we fetched the bottle of Gruet Brut I bought at Costco last week and a bottle of Gruet Chenin Blanc from the fridge and waited outside for Willy for about ten minutes.


When he arrived we drove to Santa Fe and I dozed for the last twenty minutes. Willy showed me that his fantasy team ranking that was within the top 8,000 of the approximately 3 million world wide and that he ranked within the top 300 in the US.  Willy’s comment was telling.  He said, “If I can do this with PL soccer, I can do it with stocks.” 


My reply was, “I have every confidence you can.”


That made my day.


When we arrived at Amy and Vahl’s we said hello to Vahl’s sister, Dayn, and her friend Joe, and Vahl’s tennis buddy, Key.


Amy and Vahl started preparing the food and Vahl poured glasses of the Gruet Brut, which was very lovely, perhaps because it was not ice cold.


The flavor of Chardonnay wine increases as it warms slightly.


I ate a few pistachios, but soon dinner was ready.


Amy made garlic grits and an asparagus and cheese quiche and they were served with biscuits from Whole Foods, a fruit salad, and a spiral cut ham. Perhaps the most interesting item in the meal was a lovely honey produced by a friend of Vahl’s on the Big Island of Hawaii.


We ate outside and enjoyed the warm weather. 


Besides all the other dishes I ate three half biscuits slathered with butter and honey and was in honey heaven.


After lunch I spoke to Dayn and Joe about an easement issue for a while and we were served slices of Whole Foods Key Lime pie that is a perennial Easter dinner favorite dessert.


We arrived at 1:00 and left at 4:00.


When we returned at 5:15 I rested until 6:45 when Suzette fetched me to watch Eva Longoria’s Discovering Mexico. Tonight’s episode was Oaxaca and featured among other venues, a meal of black mole at Casa Oaxaca’s roof top dining area, a restaurant we ate at twice when we went to Oaxaca.


I prepared an open faced sandwich of turkey and dressing and gravy on a whole wheat hamburger bun and drank two glasses of Kirkland Pinot Grigio.


At 8:00 I played a March episode of Finding Your Roots featuring Jim Acosta and Van Johnson that was fascinating.


At 9:00 Suzette went bed and I watched an episode of the PBS series Marie Antoinette.


I went to bed at 10:00 and blogged and read.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment