Tuesday, April 11, 2023

April 10, 2023 Lunch - Miso Noodle Soup. Dinner - Turkey Chowder

 April 10, 2023 Lunch - Miso Noodle Soup. Dinner - Turkey Chowder


Some days you know you are making progress physiologically and today was one of those days.


I believe physical advances can be made only with good nutrition so I started the day with a good breakfast. I diced a beef stick, two slices of red onion, three asparagus, a mushroom, and a handful of spinach and then added 1 T. of Chinese cooking wine, and then two eggs whisked with 1 tsp. of soy sauce in a small skillet.i flipped one-half onto the other half and turned off the heat to try to get a soft middle.




I toasted a piece of baguette that I buttered and spread with marmalade and drank water for a lovely breakfast.


At 12:30 I decided to make Miso Noodle Soup,


I filled a 2 quart sauce pan 2/3 full of water and added a packet of seaweed, a teaspoon of dehydrated dashi, Agnes a handful of dried rice stick noodles.  I then added two mushrooms sliced thinly, a shallot minced, a heaping T. of red miso, and 6 oz. of diced firm tofu.  Later I added a handful of chopped fresh Spinach leaves.


I also two green onions into thin ringlets for garnish.


When I ate the first bowl, it still tasted of water so I added another T. of red miso to the other half of the soup, which enriched the miso flavor and dispelled the watery taste.




At 2:00 I started watching the vote by the Nashville City Council to appoint Justin Jones to his former seat in the Tennessee House of Representatives and then he and his supporters walked to the Tennessee State Capitol. 


Then I walked to Southwest Capital Bank to cash a check but took a check I had already cashed.


Suzette came home at 4:00 as I was watching Justin Jones and Mrs. Johnson walk into the Chamber with his fist held high to cheers from supporters in the Gallery as re-took his seat.


I could only imagine what the other conservative Legislators who had expelled him last week thought of this exercise of democracy by his constituents. 


They must have realized in some small way that the people of Nashville had turned the tide of history on their old cracker reaction what they deemed an affront to their sense of decorum by expelling an uppity nigger from their body politic.


At 4:30 Suzette walked with me the 2 1/2 blocks back to the bank to cash a good check. I felt fine all the way although I had eaten a chocolate chip cookie before I walked.


When we returned Suzette announced she wanted to make Turkey Chowder. I diced three Yukon Gold potatoes and a medium onion and the lied down.


Suzette fetched the turkey broth we made last week and the thawed corn kernels we processed last summer and chopped asparagus and added all those ingredients to the broth with salt, pepper, and dried marjoram.



Suzette fetched me at 7:00 when Willy arrived and opened and poured glasses of Falerio Italian white wine and put a container of saltine crackers on the tables for dinner.


We each crushed three or four crackers the bowl of soup Suzette brought us and enjoyed the hearty chowder.  Willy had hiked that afternoon, so he ate 2 1/2 bowls and I ate 2 bowls, as we watched the Antiques Roadshow.



After we ate Willy left and we watched Lawrence and then another Antiques Roadshow and I ate a bowl of vanilla ice cream with maraschino cherries and chocolate syrup.


Suzette went bed at 10:00 and I stayed up to watch BBC’ Celebrity Antiques Show where celebrities buy £350 of antiques and the antiques are but to auction to see who made the best choices.  On the episode I watched there were two teams of two each and they were driving around Yorkshire. It was a humorous show with lots of English dry humor.


I fell asleep and missed who won, but perhaps that was not the point of the show and went to bed at 11:00.


Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment