Thursday, April 20, 2023

April 20, 2023 Breakfast - Eggs, sausage, and toast. Lunch - Soba Miso Pho Soup. Dinner - pita Pocket sandwiches

April 20, 2023   Breakfast - Eggs, sausage, and toast. Lunch - Soba Miso Pho Soup. Dinner - pita Pocket sandwiches 


I must have missed a medication today because my left leg hurt untilI I took medication at 3:00.  The day improved dramatically after that.


At 9:30 I sautéed a sausage patty, two eggs augmented by three egg whites and toasted two slices of baguette that I buttered and smeared with orange marmalade. I drank two cups of Earl Grey tea with milk.




I did some paperwork until 1:00 when I watched the soccer match between Man United and Sevilla, which Sevilla won and napped until 3:00.


I then heated the PPI Soba Miso Pho Soup and ate it with hoisin sauce and a garnish of sliced green onion.


At 3:55 I drove to Cafe Istanbul to shop for groceries.  Suzette requested pita and I decided I wanted to make pita sandwiches with the leftover lamb for the next few days.


I remember Sunday afternoons eating with the Hedary family in Fort Worth with a table filled with tomato slices, labni, Tabouli, pickled turnips, the family’s special sausage, and pita.


So that is what I replicated today.  I bought a jar of peeled pickled turnip sticks, fresh house made Tabouli and hummus dusted with olive oil and ground sumac, a container of labni, two kibbeh (fried balls of wheat wrapped around a meat filling), a dozen pita, and a bag of orzo.


I then drove to El Super and bought a papaya, Roma tomatoes, limes, cookies, saltine crackers, green onions, Persian cucumbers, red onions, yogurt, and mushrooms.


When I got home I made tzatziki with yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, diced red onion, the old tzatziki with its fresh mint, and two diced Persian cucumbers.  I also thinly sliced about 1/3 lb. of PPI roasted lamb and heated it in the microwave and then filled the table with the containers of hummus and tabouli, the tzatziki, a sliced lamb, a sliced Roma tomato, the labni, and cracked green olives.


Suzette sliced a pita in half and warmed it in the microwave for twenty seconds wrapped in a paper towel and we were ready to eat.




Suzette drank her cocktail and I drank the remaining glass of Hermann Weimar rose.


We had a fabulous dinner that would have made the Hedary’s proud.  Suzette stuffed her pita with slices of kibbeh, lamb, hummus, tzatziki and tomatoes. I stuffed mine with slices of tomato, labni, tzatziki, Tabouli, and lamb.  I also ate the last 1/3 of Suzette’s kibbeh with a wad of hummus and a second pocket sandwich.


We loved dinner and there are enough ingredients to eat pita pocket sandwiches for another week.


We watched an interesting program about the ancient reef that forms the Guadalupe Mountains that bounds the Permian Basin. Then at 8:00 Suzette went to bed too read and I made a cup of tea and ate a few bites of chocolate halvah and watched Lawrence O’Donnell and then Midsomer Mystery.  I tried to watch Poirot at 9:30 but fell asleep, so went to bed at 10:15 when Suzette awakened me and blogged and read.


As I left Cafe Istanbul I told the men, “I have fallen in love with your store”.


Bon Appetit








No comments:

Post a Comment