Wednesday, December 4, 2019

December 4, 2019. Lunch- East Ocean. Dinner – The Feel Good

December 4, 2019. Lunch- East Ocean. Dinner – The Feel Good

 I ate granola, yogurt, milk, and ½ mango while I watched the Judiciary Committee opening statements by the democrats’ three experts.  I then worked until 11:15 when I drove to a East Ocean to meet Robert for lunch.  I misunderstood the date.  It appeared he meant Thursday, so I ate my favorite Fried Tofu with Mixed Vegetables.



I then went to meet with Patty at her office.

At 1:30 I drove home and sent out bills and checked my portfolio and was pleased that it had regained the loss of yesterday and then some.  We will probably be on this sort of seesaw until the trade deal with China is resolved.

At 3:00 I went to the building to take pictures of the green tag on the plumbing and then drove to the Old Town Property Owners meeting where I met Brian and Robert from Left Hand Distilling.  I discussed the alterations of the building and Brian and Robert discussed their plans for the tap room.

The remarks were well received and I think we have the support of the group.  The next milepost will be the January 21 City Council meeting to obtain approval for a conditional use for a tap room.

I returned home around 4:30 and walked about 2/3 mile in the neighborhood while I talked to Amy on the cell phone, which was very pleasant.

I started watching TV when I returned at 5:30 and drank a hot buttered rum and a few crackers spread with shallot flavored Boursin.  A bit after 6:00 I received a call from Suzette and Willy asking me if I wanted to go out for dinner at the Feel Good, our new neighborhood restaurant.  I said, “Yes”, of course and soon the picked me up.

The Feel Good is the newest reincarnation of the small space at 1720 Central SW that has been renovated by Jay Rembe’s Company.  The restaurant is the latest venture in the neighborhood by the Vinaigrette restaurant owner, Erin Wade and is connected to the Modern General, with which it shares bathrooms.

The menu is eclectic.  Wednesday is fried chicken night so we ordered a large portion of fried chicken for $30.00 with sides of mashed potatoes and Cole slaw for $10.00.  The food was all needlessly picante for me. I did not care for it but liked the abundant super crispy batter on the fried chicken which was almost a meal in itself.

The best part of the meal was the wine.  Willy ordered a glass for $10.00 and we ordered a bottle for $38.00 of 2018 Chateau de Trinquvedel Tavel Rosé Grenache, Cinsault, Clairette, Mouvedre, Syrah from Tavel, France. It was a delicious wine and made me want to drink more tavels.  Willy told me that had we arrived before 6:00 we could have bought the bottle of rosé for ½ price.

So my impression is that Feel Good is a wonderful wine bar with reasonably good food, but at pretty high prices. Our tab before tip was $88.00.  With tax and tip it was $107.00, which I thought was expensive for eight pieces of fried chicken, bowls of mashed potatoes and Cole slaw.

Suzette’s comment was the best description, as usual.  She said, “We could have had the same meal for $10.00 if we had gone KFC and we could have opened a bottle of $6.00 Tavel rosé at home.

There were other items on the menu we might try in the future, such as a tomato tart.  Suzette tried to order fried calamari but the waiter said on Wednesdays they do not serve fried Artichokes or calamari because so many people order the fried chicken special.

But Willy likes to go out to eat and he likes trying new neighborhood restaurants, so from a family dining perspective, on balance it was an interesting dining experience.  Just one I will not repeat.

Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment