Sunday, December 29, 2019

December 28, 2019 Breakfast- Serrano ham with Cottage Fries and Fried eggs Lunch – Clam Chowder and a Serrano ham and Beaufort cheese sandwich Dinner – Sandwiches and Brownies

December 28, 2019  Breakfast- Serrano ham with Cottage Fries and Fried eggs   Lunch – Clam Chowder and a Serrano ham and Beaufort cheese sandwich   Dinner – Sandwiches and Brownies

Another odd but pleasant day of Christmas leftovers.

We started with a lovely breakfast made by Suzette of country fries made from PPI potato slices unused for additional Tortillas Espanol plus serrano ham toasted to crisp by sautéing in olive oil topped with a fried egg.  I drank a glass of Clamato juice mixed with the juice of ½ lime.

Suzette drank her coffee with breakfast.


There were country fries left over, so Willy cooked several eggs into the potatoes in the skillet.

Willy and I watched a couple of soccer match in the morning, Everton v. Newcastle and then Tottenham v. Norwich.  Near the end of the Tottenham match I drove to Smith’s and bought a whole chicken, a dozen eggs, and a gallon of milk.

Then college football began at 10:00 and I watched Penn State win the Cotton Bowl handily against Memphis.

I decided to eat lunch before my 3:00 appointment.  I heated a can of Progresso clam chowder, which was mostly potatoes and not very good and I made a ham and cheese sandwich that was delicious wit a toasted piece of rye bread, topped with Beaufort cheese slices, a slice of onion, and Serrano ham slices melted in the microwave 1.11 minutes.

The two big bowl games that will decide the NCAA football championship were on TV today also.  I watched some of the first game in which LSU scored an astounding 49 points in the first half against Oklahoma before I went to a closing of the sale of a business at 3:00 and then to Sprouts to buy a salmon fillet and granola.  When I got home I saw the last of the game in which LSU scored 63 points and made teriyaki marinade and marinated the salmon. We will probably roast the chicken for brunch and make chicken salad for our trip with the leftover white meat and sauté the salmon for dinner tomorrow.

Then at 6:00 the other national playoff game between Clemson and Ohio State started. Suzette was home by now and we routed for Clemson. It was a much more competitive game in which Clemson
came from behind in the fourth quarter to win by 6 points.

Suzette had eaten meatloaf at the Center so she was not hungry for dinner. I had previously made brownies with the new Ghiardelli brownie mix and it had resulted in a thin brownie with a hard crust when I used one bag of mix, so I decided to bake a batch with two bags of mix.  They turned out to have more of a soft center but still had a hard surface. I think the problem is using the convection setting on the oven that is drying the edges.


Anyway I decided to extend the Christmas party by eating some of the foods we served with some of the PPI mulled wine I made.

I decided the best complement for the mulled wine would be the lovely chicken liver pate that Jill made for me and a couple of cheeses.

I toasted six thin slices of French baguette, buttered them, and spread pate with onions, mustard, and capers on three.  I lay slices of Camembert on two and spread goat cheese on the sixth.  Here is a picture. I enjoyed my sandwiches with the mulled wine.



                                              The block of pate on its serving plate

We took the brownies out of the oven after 45 minutes and I tasted them and they were soft under the surface but the surfaces were hard.  Yuck.

Suzette and I enjoyed a glass of limoncello after I finished my sandwiches as we watched the exciting finish to the Clemson v. Ohio State game and then a bit of an old episode of SNL.

We got in bed a bit after 10:00 and watched the start of the 10:30 SNL, but it was a rerun and I fell asleep soon after it started.

I woke up at 3:00 and blogged and drank some water.

It snowed on the mountains today but we got only a few flakes of wet snow that froze after dark.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment