Thursday, July 13, 2017

July 12, 2017 Lunch – PPI Stir fried Vegetables, fried tofu, and Pork. Dinner – Reconstructed Paella

July 12, 2017 Lunch – PPI Stir fried Vegetables, fried tofu, and Pork. Dinner – Reconstructed Paella

I are granola, cherries, ½ mango, yogurt and milk for breakfast before Suzette and I rode to Montano by way of the new Aldo Leopoldo path starting at the Nature Center and going north.

After two appointments in the morning I had a bite of cold PPI vegetables before dashing to a bankruptcy hearing at 1:15.

After the meeting I drove to the bank and then to Costco to re-fill my new  prescription, where I tried a new chicken and cilantro dumpling that was quite delicious, so I bought a 3 lb. bag of them for $5.99.

I decided to go shopping for groceries.  I receive the weekly flyers from the grocery stores that describe their featured items.  This week I noticed that Albertson’s was featuring boneless rib eye steak for $4.97/lb. I actually made an error when I went to Albertson’s because I thought Wednesday was senior discount day when seniors receive an additional 10% discount.  I found out at the checkout counter that the senior discount is only available on the first Wednesday of the month,  still, Boneless rib eye steak for $4.97 is the cheapest price I have seen in a long time, so I bought almost ten pounds of them.  I also bought a dozen extra large eggs for $.77 and a nice large avocado for $.97.

I then went to El Super because their flyer offered ataulfo mangoes for 5 for $.99.  I bought ten and regretted having bought 3 mangoes at Sprouts last Sunday for $.50 each.  I also bought two chayote for $.89, a head of cauliflower and a head of broccoli for $.50/lb., a pineapple for $.89/lb., a papaya for $.50/lb., and limes for $.33/lb.  Tropical fruit salad is on the menu for next week.  I also bought five tomatillos for $.50/lb. a bulb of jicama at 4lb. for $.99.  It is the period of greatest abundance or produce and fruits in Mexico.

I remember being in PV for my birthday at this time of the year once when Scott and I went shopping for groceries at a mini Super up the hill in the center of town and I was the 10,000th customer and won a twenty two pound bag of mangoes.  That is how abundant mangoes get at this time of year.

It was after 4:00 by the time I returned home.  I unloaded all the groceries and heated the bowl of vegetables, fried tofu, and pork and ate my lunch while watching Cramer on Mad Money.

        The PPI Paella was 1/2 of this quantity
    The PPI salmon with sorrel was 1/4 of this quantity
     This is the Vegetables, fried tofu, and Pork dish I ate for lunch

I then worked until 5:45 and went to the Friends Meeting Hall to meditate with Todd.  When I returned at 7:00 I found Suzette slumped in her chair unable to move after a long day of work that did not end until after 6:00.  She said she was unable to cook, so I decided to reconstruct the Paella, with the PPI Paella, PPI sausage, PPI sorrel glazed grilled salmon from Saturday night’s dinner party, and a handful of green beans we bought at Sprouts on Sunday.  I first minced two cloves of garlic from our garden, a shallot, and snapped the string beans into bite sized pieces and sliced the two small pieces of sausage and sautéed all of those ingredients in a large skillet with ½ T. of olive oil until the string beans were cooked and the sausage began to sizzle and fry a bit.

Then I added the PPI Paella and the PPI salmon.  I then made 1 ½ cup of chicken stock with Knorr dehydrated chicken stock and water and added that to the mixture which allowed me to emulsify all the ingredients.  I stirred and broke up the clumps of rice in the Paella until it became a homogeneous mixture with the new ingredients.  I cooked the mixture until the it absorbed the stock and became gooey, which is how I like my Paella.

The result was a hot delicious Paella with more flavor and more fish, vegetables, and sausage than the first batch.

I poured glasses of Benton Lane 2015 Rose’ and we had a fabulous Paella dinner as we watched the Tour de France and Rachel Maddow and Last Word until 9:00 when we both collapsed into bed.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment