Monday, May 31, 2021

May 31, 2021 Lunch - Sautéed Smoked Pork Cutlet with two eggs over easy, and two toasted bagels spread with cream cheese. Dinner - Roasted Chicken stuffed with Tarragon and lemon slices, with Artichoke Barigoule and Rice

May 31, 2021 Lunch - Sautéed Smoked Pork Cutlet with two eggs over easy, and two toasted bagels spread with cream cheese. Dinner - Roasted Chicken stuffed with Tarragon and lemon slices, with Artichoke Barigoule and Rice 


I ate some blueberry yogurt with 1/2 of a sliced banana and a small handful of fresh blueberries for breakfast.  Then at 10:00 I rode to I-40 on the bike trail and back.  When I returned I had an appointment and was feeling weak so I got in bed and ate three fig newtons and rested until almost 2:00, when I made a high protein and carb lunch.  I sautéed a smoked pork cutlet and cooked two eggs over easy with a slice of sweet onion and a cup of green tea.




  Suzette came home while I was eating.  At 4:00 we drove to Lowe’s  and Walgreen’s where I bought a travel bottle and dental floss.


When we returned home Suzette stuffed a whole chicken with lemon slices and tarragon she picked in the garden and roasted the chicken while I rested until 7:00 and then chopped onion, garlic, and fennel, and removed four artichoke hearts from the leaves while Suzette chopped two carrots for the Artichoke Barigoule dish we intended to cook for dinner.  I also put a bottle of White Cotes Du Rhone wine into the fridge to chill at 3:00 (Trader Joe’s $5.99??). Suzette went to the garden and picked a handful of fresh thyme and I stripped the leaves and flowers from the stems and Suzette added the thyme to the Barigoule with a bay leaf.  We did not have parsley.


Here is the recipe we used. 


https://www.seriouseats.com/classic-artichokes-a-la-barigoule-french-braised-artichokes-with-white-wine


Willy arrived at 7:30 as Suzette was sautéing the Barigoule ingredients in the wine and then added chicken stock and removed the vegetables and reduced the liquid to a thin sauce and poured that over the vegetables.  I carved the chicken and Suzette heated the PPI rice and put a small pile of rice on each plate.  I then lay a piece of chicken on the rice and Suzette spooned the Barigoule vegetables beside the chicken.







Willy poured glasses of wine and we had a lovely meal.  The barigoule tasted better with the freshly steamed artichoke, but I think it would taste better with an uncooked artichoke heart, so I am still in search of the illusive best rendition of the recipe.


We watched an Anthony Bourdain episode on winter food in Iceland from his No Reservations series and then Willy left and I went back to bed.


I awakened at 11:00 feeling much better and blogged this blog installment.


Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment