Saturday, May 29, 2021

May 28, 2021 Lunch - Stir Fried Rice with Grilled Beef Wrapped Shrimp, chard, and Tofu. Dinner - PPI Scallop Lasagna.

May 28, 2021 Lunch - Stir Fried Rice with Grilled Beef Wrapped Shrimp, chard, and Tofu.  Dinner - PPI Scallop Lasagna. 


Today I ate leftovers, but wonderful leftovers.  I worked through breakfast, so did not eat breakfast.  Finally, at 1:00 I made lunch.  I put the leftover rice and Grilled Beef Wrapped Shrimp left from yesterday’s Vietnamese lunch with Peter and two cloves of minced garlic in my wok heated with a bit of flavored olive oil left from last night’s roasted vegetables and added about 4 oz. of diced firm tofu.  When the mixture became hot I added, some of the mung bean sprouts, some cilantro, and the four or five pieces of green onion from the restaurant box and an egg and then a generous handful of chard and removed the tail shell still on the shrimp and cut the two bundles of beef wrapped Shrimp in half to make four generous bites.




After a few minutes when the egg was cooked to firmness I ladled 1/2 of the mixture onto a plate and ate it greedily.  Although hot and delicious this part of the meal I would characterize as eating to live because I was tired from a lack of sleep last night and hungry from lack of breakfast.  Having satisfied my hunger, I then reheated the last half of the mixture and drizzled it with hoisin sauce and cilantro leaves and enjoyed the gooey hot flavor of the ingredients with a cup of green tea. This part of the meal was much closer to living to eat.  


After lunch I waited until 2:00 to see how I did in the Market.  I was flummoxed when the gains for the day should have been two or three times higher than the actual difference between yesterday’s totals and today’s.  That has happened before when I tabulated the numbers several hours after the close because one of my accounts reflects actual market activity and in highly volatile after market activity the totals can move away from the closing prices.  Yesterday was one of those days when I recorded the total several hours after the close.


Earlier in the morning I talked to Willy, who is following the market and especially the crypto market, about the collapse of that market in relationship to the US equity market.  He agreed with my theory that this week when concerns about inflation have abated and the sovereign debt market has started back down, with the 10 year treasury bill rate below 1.6% and with the reopening in the US underway and corporate earnings up, that money is flowing out of sovereign debt and crypto currencies and back into the equity markets.  Of course Elon Musk and the Chinese governments actions and perhaps the brightening prospects for a sovereign digital currency have probably also helped dampen the froth in the crypto markets.  Willy then explained to me the Reddit/Robinhood buying pressure pushing up AMC and GameStop and Beyond Meat.  He said that those coordinated investment services look for stocks that are heavily shorted by hedge funds and start buying those stocks to create a short squeeze for the short sellers that forces them to cover by buying the stock at a higher price, thus causing them to lose Billions of dollars. Willy’s assessment was reported in the business news recently, that the run up in prices in the stocks favored by Reddit influenced buyers may have cost the short sellers as much as 10 billion dollars.


Willy felt some satisfaction that the short sellers are getting hammered. I am satisfied that I am sitting in stocks that are not part of that fight.


After lunch I did my banking and returned home by 2:50 and lay down and napped until Suzette awakened me at 4:00 to get ready to go to Santa Fe Art Auction reception from 5:00 until 7:00.  We drove up and examined the the items offered in the auction and especially the two or three pieces we were interested in bidding on tomorrow. We each nibbled one of the cups of fresh fruit offered and Suzette was discussed when she ate one the offered cold pork sliders.  I was a little less disgusted when I ate a cold corn muffin smeared with a strawberry topping.



After the viewing we discussed dinner and decided to drive back home and eat some more of the PPI Scallop Lasagna.


When we arrived at 7:45 we were hungry and we immediately cut squares of scallop lasagna and popped them into the microwave.  Suzette took a Modelo Negra and I poured out the rest of the chilled Mohua New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, which is one of my favorite wines.  Soon we were eating lovely creamy lasagna.  This eating experience qualified as both eating to satiate hunger and living to eat because it was impossible to not notice how delicious the scallop lasagna was.  It was creamy from lots of ricotta and mozzarella cheese and full of scallop flavor from the scallops sautéed in thyme, chives, and onion, plus full of cooked chard for a green leafy tart vegetable flavor that balanced the heavy cheese flavor and the fishy scallop flavor.  We loved this dish the second time better than the first time we ate the night we made it and have enough left for another meal.



After dinner I ate some chocolate and some chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup and Kahlua and a sip of Calvados.


We watched a not very good Jennifer Aniston movie on Netflix and went to bed at 10:30.


I awakened at 4:30 to write this blog and then went back to bed to get a little more rest.


Bon Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment