Thursday, January 11, 2024

January 10, 2023 Breakfast - Fried Egg sandwich Lunch - Shrimp in Lobster Sauce plus scallops and snow January 10, 2023 Breakfast - Fried Egg sandwich Lunch - Shrimp in Lobster Sauce plus scallops and snow peas Snack - Foie gras and Affinois on toasted Baguette with Port, Dinner - Oyster Stew

January 10, 2023 Breakfast - Fried Egg sandwich  Lunch - Shrimp in Lobster Sauce plus scallops and snow January 10, 2023 Breakfast - Fried Egg sandwich  Lunch - Shrimp in Lobster Sauce plus scallops and snow peas  Snack - Foie gras and Affinois on toasted Baguette with Port, Dinner - Oyster Stew 


This was an interesting day both for food and exercise.


After Suzette did her exercise and I watched the news and the market opened Suzette made her famous Lindemuth egg sandwich with the a egg whisked and then cooked like a pancake in a skillet and then laid between two slices of toasted white sandwich bread slices spread with mayonnaise.  Yesterday was a break even day with a minimal gain.




After breakfast Suzette left to do errands including driving to Rio Rancho to buy two pedicure chairs.


While she was gone I got the Real Estate Commission Settlement completed today and paid my taxes on the Binswanger property in Bedford.


Suzette returned around 12:30 and we walked two blocks and back and then combined and heated the shrimp in lobster sauce and shrimp and scallops with snow peas and rice and ate them with Chinese green tea. Scallops in Lobster Sauce is one of my favorite Chinese dishes, perhaps because I love the combination of sautéed ground pork, green onions,  and scallops in a thickened chicken stock that I have never been able to replicate.  The addition of snow peas and shrimp was a welcome addition.





By combining the two dishes we made a better dish, Shrimp and Scallops with snow peas in lobster sauce.


After lunch I rested and talked to Billy and then our cousin, Marty Meltzer.


At 5:00 I walked to the Country club but had difficulty on the way back. Suzette came out and walked with me the last block.


When we got home Suzette had opened the duck liver pate I bought last week at Smith’s. I was shaking from lack of stamina, so I sat down in the kitchen by the cutting board and Suzette sliced and toasted three slices of baguette and I spread them with butter, creamy Affinois cheese, and pate and Suzette poured me a glass of Graham’s 2012 Late Harvested Port that was sweet and rich and a perfect match for the savory and creamy pate mousse and rich cheese.


After several open faced sandwiches and a second glass of port I had regained much of my stamina and we started dinner.


Dinner.

I bought 8 jars of Pacific oysters yesterday at Smith’s marked down from $6.99 to $3.25, so tonight we decided to make oyster stew with four jars and freeze the other four jars.


Suzette peeled four Yukon Gold potatoes and I diced them into 1/4 inch cubes.  I then diced two leeks and destemmed the leaves from about seven stalks of fresh thyme the butcher had given me when I bought the oysters.


Suzette sautéed the leeks and potatoes. Then we remembered to add celery and she fetched a head of celery from the garage and tore out the  middle section with several tender stalks with lots of leaves and I diced those and added them to the sauté.


When the vegetables Suzette added milk and two T. of cream to fill the casserole and waited for it to come to a simmer.


While she was cooking the stew, we drained and rinsed the 24 to 25 large oysters and I cut each oyster in half so we had about 50 good sized pieces of oyster.



I then minced a few sprigs of parsley for garnish.


When the stew came to a simmer Suzette added the oysters to the stew and put the lid on the casserole to bring the temperature up to a strong simmer and cook the oysters.



While the stew was cooking Suzette opened a bottle of 2020 Standing Stone Riesling that had a luscious deep texture of sweet fruitiness with a pleasant touch of acidity on the finish, a very impressive Riesling and perfect for the milky creamy  texture of the stew.  We loved both the stew and the wine.





I have never had a better Oyster Stew.  The use of leek instead of onion, the finely diced vegetables and abundance of big plump oysters set this Oyster Stew apart from all others.


After dinner we watched an interesting and entertaining movie titled “Journey 2 to the Mysterious Island”, with a contemporary plot about a trip to an island in the assumed location of Jules Verne’s Mysterious Island somewhere in the Southern Pacific by a stepfather and his stepson to find the child’s grand father, starring an older Michael Caine as the grandfather and the Rock as the step father. We liked the movie and went to bed at 10:00.


Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment