Sunday, June 11, 2023

June 11, 2023 Brunch - Bacon and eggs on refried beans with tortillas. Dinner - Ricotta, basil, and lemon ravioli with mushrooms a white wine caper sauce

 June 11, 2023 Brunch - Bacon and eggs on refried beans with tortillas. Dinner - Ricotta, basil, and lemon ravioli with mushrooms a white wine caper sauce


I awakened at 6:00 and soon found that the last stage 8 of the Paris to Grenoble Centurion bike race was in its last dramatic 5 miles, so I watched the winner of last year’s Tour win this race and an Italian racing for the Trek team win the stage with a final climb to the Bastille above Grenoble with 17 to 24% gradients.


I then I watched Fareed Zacharia and some of the men’s final at the French Open.


I ate a pain au chocolate with a glass of hot lemon water during the bike race and at 11:00 I started frying bacon. We were hungry and we agreed on two eggs each over easy. Suzette suggested refried beans and she found a can of refied pinto beans in the pantry, so she poured the bacon grease from the fried bacon into a skillet and chopped about three oz. Of yellow onion and sautéed it with a clove of garlic in the bacon grease. Then I emptied the beans into the bacon grease and added about.1/2 cup of water to emulsify the beans.  Suzette went to the garden and picked several leaves of red epazote that she sliced into thin strips and added it to the beans.


Soon we had a creamy skillet full of refried beans. Drained the crisp bacon.. 

Suzette melted butter into a skillet and I broke four eggs into the skillet.

I toasted two flour tortillas over the gas burner and Suzette toasted two or three blue corn tortillas. Suzette made Huevos rancheros by covering the corn tortillas with a layer of beans, then the two over easy eggs and finally the two strips of bacon.  I made an deconstructed open faced burrito by spreading refried beans on my toasted flour tortilla and then laying the two eggs on top of the beans and the two strips of bacon beside the eggs.


                                  Suzette’s Huevos Rancheros con frijoles


                                            My deconstructed Bacon and egg burrito


We drank water with brunch.


I did not eat anything until 5:00 when we ate some roasted peanuts.


Dinner - Ravioli, Mushrooms, and Asparagus in white wine sauce with capers.sauteeing 


I chilled a bottle of Pinot Gris from the Willamette Valley in Oregon at 5:00 when we decided on the menu.


At 6:30 I minced a shallot and two cloves of fresh garlic and Suzette boiled 16 of the fresh Rana Ravioli stuffed with ricotta, basil, and lemon I bought at Costco. She then made a sauce by sautéing the shallot and garlic in butter and then added the mushrooms and finally added the asparagus and capers.


Suzette went to the garden and picked about 10 sprigs of chives and a small handful of thyme. I sliced the chives thinly and picked the leaves from about ten thyme stems and sliced several slices of fresh Parmesan cheese.


When the raviolis were cooked Suzette tossed them in the sauce and plated 8 raviolis in each pasta bowl with some sauce and garnished the bowls with chives, Parmesan cheese, and thyme.


She also poured glass of Pinot Gris and we took our bowls and glasses to the table on the patio to eat since the wind was blowing rather forcefully.






I enjoyed the wine with the raviolis and we discussed our trip to Spain.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment