Saturday, September 9, 2017

September 8, 2017 Lunch – Que Huong. Dinner – PPI Shrimp Scampi Primavera.

September 8, 2017 Lunch – Que Huong. Dinner – PPI Shrimp Scampi Primavera.

We rode to Rio Bravo and back and I forgot to eat something before we rode and I weakened my muscles, so when we returned I ate fresh blueberries and peaches with yogurt and then fried two eggs and two slices of bacon.

Peter invited me to lunch with Mary at Que Houng.  I at first was opposed to the idea because I usually order something with rice noodles, which are no longer on the diet, but relented.  They were waiting for me when I arrived a minute or two after noon.  When I looked at the menu my concerns were immediately dispelled when I saw a Chef’s special of a Crepe with pork and shrimp.  Peter ordered a hot pot with several meats and vegetables and rice and Mary ordered udon soup with chicken.  My crepe was crisper than any I had ever had, a crisp omelet filled with sautéed mung bean sprouts, pork and shrimp; very delicious, especially when dipped in the sweetened fish sauce served with the dish.  I have become more sensitive to the sugar content in foods since I have reduced the amount of sugar from my diet.

Peter’s dish was massive, more than enough for two persons.  He took much of it home.  I also took ½ of my Crepe home in a plastic box.


       Peter's hot pot casserole

Mary has recently moved to Jubilee in Los Lunas. I asked her if she has visited Talin yet and when she replied, “No.” I told her and Peter that I was going there after lunch to buy Suzette rice vinegar.  They followed me to Talin and Peter bought a bottle of Bismarck herring.  I bought a fresh striped bass, canned pimientos, and Aji Mirin, besides the rice vinegar for Suzette.

I worked until 4:00 and then started reading “Code Talker” by Chester Nez, the autobiography by the last living original member of the Navajo code talkers from WWII.

I simmered the PPI artichokes, but forgot to set the timer and all the water boiled out of them and they became scorched on the bottom by the time I added more water and re-heated them.  I knew Suzette would never eat them, so at at 5:30 I ate some of the less scorched leaves and heart with the PPI lemon mayonnaise sauce I made yesterday.  They had a slightly smoky flavor, but were tender.

Suzette worked late sending out invitations for the Center’s 30th Anniversary celebration.  At 5:30 I
watched the news, much of which is about Hurricane Irma.  I particularly enjoyed the comment by Shields and Gerson on PBS’ News Hour, that President Trump was really unpredictable again this week when he abandoned any loyalty to the Republican Party members in Congress and made a deal with the Democrats to raise the debt ceiling for three months and even said he may be willing to abandon a debt ceiling altogether.

When Suzette arrived around 6:30 she was really tired and could not cook dinner, so a little after 7:00 she ate the PPI Vietnamese Crepe from lunch and I drove to El Super to buy her the fresh ginger root
she needed for her pickles and shop for produce.  I bought limes, cauliflower, and tomatillos at $.50/lb., avocados for $.50 each. Cherries were still $1.26/lb. and the best deal was chayote for $.25
each.  I bought a couple of Serrano chilis and a bunch of spinach and broccoli, also. I also bought 1 lb. of butter, since we had none, and a container of Best Choice yogurt (my new favorite yogurt because it has little or no sugar and tastes like the type of yogurt I used to find in Europe in the 60s, rich in the live lactobacillus bacteria.

So at the store I was planning dishes while I was shopping.  I will make a Mexican stew of pork, chayote and tomatillos with Serrano chili and can use up some of the milk that Suzette will not use
because our coffee maker is currently not working and the repairman is not scheduled until next Friday.

We will probably cook either creamed spinach or steamed broccoli when we grill the striped bass
When I returned home Suzette said she was no longer hungry. I told her that I was not very hungry since I had eaten artichokes earlier and would make a PPI dinner.  I made myself a Gin and tonic and then looked in the fridge and saw the PPI squash noodles in tomato and onion sauce we had made for the shrimp scampi earlier in the week, so I went to the garage and picked five of the ripest tomatoes that Suzette had brought from the Center earlier this week and diced them and added them to the noodle dish.  I then defrosted three colossal shrimp and then shelled them and added them to the
noodle dish and re-heated it in the microwave.

I poured the last ½ glass of 20Famille Perrin Reserve Cotes Du Rhone White and enjoyed a wonderful Shrimp, squash noodle Primavera stew.

         Tonight's Shrimp and tomato Primavera stew (there are three shrimp submerged in the sauce)


  The original Shrimp Scampi and Squash Noodle dish                                    



At about 8:00 I returned to bed to read my book with a shot of grappa and a square of 72% dark chocolate and dozed off a bit later.

We were both happy to not have to cook and to provide an interesting dinner for Suzette and me that got rid of three PPIs.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment