Saturday, September 16, 2017

September 15, 2017 Lunch – Vinaigrette. Dinner – Grilled Lamb Chops; Tzatziki; Bacon, Spinach, and Corn Salad; and Roasted Potato Chunks

September 15, 2017 Lunch – Vinaigrette. Dinner – Grilled Lamb Chops; Tzatziki; Bacon, Spinach, and Corn Salad; and Roasted Potato Chunks

Today was dominated by the presence of Southwest Productions shooting a commercial at the house beginning at 8:00 a.m. and the filing of Willy and my taxes.

I ate yogurt, a little granola, blueberries, and milk for breakfast.

Willy came at lunch to send his authorization to file his taxes to the accountant and the we rode bikes to Vinaigrette and ate lunch.  I ordered my usual Frisée Salad with a poached egg and pancetta lardons.  Willy ordered a combo lunch plate with ½ of a baked turkey sandwich and ½ of an Omega salad with avocado chunks.

Here are the pictures.  Willy also ordered a carrot and turmeric drink.

After lunch I rode home and finished writing checks and mailing my tax payments to the various taxing officials.

Around 3:30 the Southwest Production folks left and I began thinking about dinner.

I knew we had lamb chops, so I decided to make tzatziki, roasted potatoes, and a salad.

Tzatziki - I peeled, seeded, and diced one medium cucumber Suzette had brought from the organic gardenr at her Center for Ageless Living in Los Lunas.
I diced about 1 T. of red onion into the bowl of cucumber and added about 1 tsp. of salt and let the cucumber and onion sit while I prepared the potatoes.

Then I drained the liquid that had accumulated and added 1 cup of yogurt, squeezed in two small cloves of garlic, and the juice of ½ lemon.

Finally, I picked about seven or eight sprigs of mint from the garden, rinsed and de-stemmed about ½ cup of leaves, chopped the leaves finely, and added the chopped mint to the Tzatziki and covered it with Saran and placed the bowl in the fridge to chill.

Roasted potatoes –

I scrubbed the dirt off four medium sized russet potatoes and diced them into irregular wedges.  I placed the wedges on a cookie sheet and dusted them with 1 1\2 tsp of salt and drizzled about 1 ½ T.
of Spanish Olive oil on the wedges and tossed the wedges to coat them with salt and oil.  I the baked them in a convection oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees until they were slightly browned.

Salad –

I was inspired to make an elaborate salad by the salad de jour last night at Frenchish.  I tore the last
bit of a head of Bibb lettuce and about 1 cup of spinach leaves and rinsed and spun those.  Then I
diced two radishes and ¼ of a cucumber and placed those and the lettuce in a salad bowl.

Suzette arrived home as I was slicing the kernels of corn from a cooked ear we had in the fridge and was frying two pieces of thick sliced bacon, so she helped me watch the bacon, while I peeled, pitted and diced two small avocados into the salad.  After the bacon was cooked to crisp Suzette removed the slices from the pan to a paper towel to drain the fat and began cooked the corn kernels in the bacon fat.  While the corn  kernels were cooking Suzette fetched the apple cider vinegar, she added ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar, about 1 ½ tsp. of sugar, and about ¼ cup of olive oil to the bacon fat and corn to make a warm dressing while I chopped the bacon into small bike-sized pieces and added them to the salad and fetched a bottle of 2015 Valreas Cote Du Rhone Villages (Trader Joe’s $5.99) and
opened it.  Suzette asked if I had added any tomatoes and when I answered in the negative she went to our garden and gathered about eight to ten that had ripened. I  diced five of them and added the diced tomatoes to the salad.fetched glasses and poured some wine for us to sip while we finished
cooking. I returned the roasted potatoes to the warm oven to keep them warm.






                Tomatoes from our garden
Suzette lit the propane grill outside and heated it, while she salted the chops with sea salt and fresh
pepper.  She then grilled the chops to medium rare.  When Suzette brought the chops in we decided toeat outside, we poured the corn and dressing onto the salad    and I tossed the salad ingredients to dress the salad.  Suzette put two grilled lamb chops on each plate and spooned a small pile of roasted potato chunks on each . I poured glasses of red wine and placed a pile of salad on each The 

We carried our plates, the bowl of Tzatziki, silverware, napkins, and our glasses of wine to the table under the gazebo in the garden just as the sunset was turning the clouds in the south pink.

We lingered over our dinner and wine. I noted the disappearance of flies, suzette surmised that there must have been a cool night that killed them.

Suzette ate only one chop and I had trouble finishing the food on my plate, so we hypothesized that our stomachs were shrinking from our new life style.  We discussed the events of the next two weeks, which will be packed with interesting activities.

After putting up the PPIs, having blogged for four hours last night about Frenchish Restaurant, I became tired and lay down and went to sleep before 9:00.  Suzette has been working hard lately and she soon joined me in bed after she checked on the condition of her 94 year old father, who had suffered a dizzy spell and a fall and had to go to the hospital in Hershey, PA.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment