Tuesday, September 26, 2017

September 25, 2017 Lunch – Sumo Sushi Dinner – Steam Cooked Chicken breast coated with Pesto, steamed Asparagus, and Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes


September 25, 2017 Lunch – Sumo Sushi  Dinner – Steam Cooked Chicken breast coated with Pesto, steamed Asparagus, and Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes

I ate yogurt, granola, blueberries, a bit of peach, and milk for breakfast.

I called Robert Mueller and we agreed to meet for lunch at 11:45 at Sumo Sushi at Third and Marble across from the federal courthouse.

Robert brought his dog, Lothar, a perfectly trained German Shepard that lay quietly beside him during the 1 ½ hours that we ate and talked.

Robert is on a modified Adkin’s diet of meat and vegetables and has lost 18 pounds, so we both ordered the sashimi salad for $16.95, a bed of greens dressed with that lovely ginger dressing that I like so much covered with about a dozen strips of raw salmon, tuna, and red snapper.  I also ordered a bowl of deep fried tofu stuffed with wood ear and shiitake mushrooms cooked in a broth, my favorite dish at Amerasia, which shares the building and kitchen with Sumo.  Robert liked the stuffed tofu and gladly dipped the wedges into the hot savory broth,

We also ordered green tea and were pleasantly surprised to be served a pot in which a metal basket was inserted under the top that filled with loose green tea. It was delicious.



I enjoyed lunch and our conversation and lingered until 1:15 and  then said goodbye and returned home for my 1:30 appointment.

I worked until Suzette returned home at 4:30.  I had been following Mike Verhagen’s Facebook postings from Wisconsin to Taos during the last few days, so I called him on the chance that he had arrived in town and he had, so I invited him to dinner at 6:30.

Suzette and I rode halfway to Rio Bravo and returned home at 5:30. Suzette washed three Yukon Gold potatoes and I diced them into pieces and Suzette tossed them in a gallon freezer bag with olive oil and salt and roasted them in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes until lightly golden brown and crispy on the edges.

After cutting up the potatoes I took a shower and shaved.  When I returned to the kitchen Willy had arrived and Suzette had brushed the chicken breasts with the fresh pesto she made yesterday and put them into the steamer oven to cook and had sliced yellow tomatoes from our garden and beautiful variated red and white tomatoes from her Los Lunas garden and made a Caprese salad by alternating fresh basil leaves and slices of fresh mozzarella and then dressing the salad with a balsamic and olive oil dressing.

Willy took a ride to the bosque and returned a bit after Mike arrived around 6:30.

The only thing left to do was steam the asparagus, so I snapped the tough ends off about 25 stalks of relatively thin asparagus and put them in the steamer with water so they were ready to steam. I discussed what wine to drink with dinner with Suzette and we decided on a light red wine. Since Mike had mentioned a chianti I fetched a bottle of 2010 Lionello Marchesi Castillo di Monasterio Chianti Superiore from the basement.

When Willy returned we started steaming the asparagus, I asked Willy and Mike if they wanted a piece of toast. When they said, “Yes., Willy sliced four slices of the Le Quiche Bakery wholewheat bread I had bought last Saturday at the Farmer’s Market and toasted it and spread some of the basil Mayo he made on the toast.  Soon  we were ready and Suzette plated the plates with ½’of a chicken breast, asparagus, and roasted potatoes and Willy added several pieces of toast and I poured the Chianti.



Suzette and Mike after dinner



We watched Dallas play the Arizona Cardinals on Monday night football without the sound. Mike appears to be a Cardinal fan, perhaps because his brother lives in Phoenix.  When we finished dinner, Willy left and I toasted several more pieces of bread and served the Brie cheese from Ste. Mere d Isigny and opened a bottle of Cherry Blossom Pinot Noir (Trader Joe’s $4.99, the best value in an everyday Pinot).  After the cheese I served a piece of 72% cocoa Belgium chocolate that we ate with the last of the Pinot.

 A bit before 9:00 I poured glasses of Calvados and we moved to chairs closer to the TV and watched Episode Seven of The Vietnam War until about 11:00 that covered the last half of 1968, particularly turbulent period in both Vietnam,  the U.S., and around the world.  It seemed like there were riots everywhere.

At 11:00 we said goodnight and went to bed.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment