Saturday, September 23, 2017

September 21, 2017 and September 22, 2017. Lunch – Salad and Sushi Hana. Dinner – Indian Pueblo Center catered dinner. And Gruet champagne and snacks


September 21, 2017 and September 22, 2017. Lunch – Salad and Sushi Hana. Dinner – Indian Pueblo Center catered dinner. And Gruet champagne and snacks

Not much to mention.  The best meal was probably the salad I made on Thursday.

      Egg, salami, tomato, grated Parmesan, romaine lettuce, and radish slices

At 1:45 I went with Bill Turner to Sushi Hana upon Friday.  We both ordered bento boxes with stir fried soba noodles.  Bill ordered shrimp and I ordered beef on mine, plus the bento box has four pieces of sushi, five pieces of tempura, salad with ginger dressing, an egg roll, and a slice of watermelon, served with plum sauce and teriyaki sauce.  I had eaten a small bowl of our squash noodle casserole at noon and was not very hungry, so I took ½ of my meal home in a box.

We did not cook dinner either evening.

Thursday evening we were invited to a catered dinner and seminar presented by Suzette’s financial advisor, Pavalos, at the Indian Pueblo Center. Suzette ordered salmon and I ordered beef.  Her salmon was a 5 or 6  oz. filet on a bed of m asked potatoes with a stalk of baked broccolini. My beef substituted a 5 or 6 oz. entrecôte nicely grilled to medium rare.  Dessert was even better, a small rectangle of dense flourless torte .  I had to eat both mine and Suzette’s and have a cup of decaf coffee, as we heard a lecture on Social Security.  The lecture made one important point; that the best thing to do is to defer receipt of your social security to age 70, which will garner a 32% greater monthly payment.

Friday night was even more interesting.  The Gruet wine club had a reception for release of its new sweet champagne, named Doux, and its current allocation of wine to members from 5:00 to 7:00.  Suzette and I went at around 5:45 and when we arrived there was a good crowd and the parking lot was filled, so we had to park behind one of the employees trucks on the neighbor’s side of the loading dock.

We waited in line for of complimentary glass of champagne, which today was Non-vintage Blanc de Blanc.  When we arrived at the counter to receive our glass of wine, Suzette ordered the three cases of Brut champagne for her 30th Anniversary party and I organized my allotment by substituting two bottles of 2012 Blanc de Blanc instead of the Merlot and Pinot red still wine offerings and added a bottle of Tamaya Rose’.
We the found a seat, put down our glasses of champagne, and attacked the appetizers.  There were also two trays of appetizers; one tray of cubed ham, roast beef, and turkey, Swiss, cheddar, and mozzarella cheese and the other four types of olives, baby Pickled peppers, and pickled caper berries.

We each had two plates of appetizers for dinner and at around 6:45 had the pourer fetch our wine and with the assistance of a warehouse worker load it into the Prius.  Went then drove to the National
Hispanic Cultural Center  for the first evening of Globalquerque, a weekend of world music on three different stages.  Our favorite was the first act we saw, a trio playing traditional music from .Mali, named Kali and the last group, a French Argentinian trio playing a harmonica and two electrified guitars.  I have gotten over the excitement of a singer or group using moog or synthesizer enhanced loops of their voice or instruments, which several still use because it seems to me to create a modern sound that alters the traditional instrumentation.

I am also in a group of mostly TCU alumni curmudgeons who blog about TCU sports and  Fort Worth.  Yesterday there was a blog about Fort Worth becoming funky, in a musical sense that made me remember my earliest musical experiences in Fort Worth.  Here is my blog entry.

I offer some of my earliest musical experiences.

 I guess I was raised in what I would call the proto-funk era in Fort Worth.  For example, I recall going to a club on North Main where Ray Sharpe performed his relatively famous hit "Linda Lou." in the 60's.  I guess I would call that my introduction to Fort Worth Funk.  "I have a girl and her name is Linda Lou."

The epic event in my youth was Heard Floore, Jr., who was one of our Boy Scout Post members booking the New Lost City Ramblers, with John Cohen and Michael Seeger (Pete's younger brother) to play at TCU in 1963 or 1964.  It was my first real life introduction to the Folk Era and I felt I had been to the top of the mountain.

I recall in 1965 going to my first rock concert.  It was the Kinks in Will Rogers Coliseum and it was promoted by Mack Cohen, who was a family friend and music promoter in Fort Worth

I want to thank Dee for the informative Star Telegram article.  Fort Worth has always been funky.  Remember Hank Wills and the Texas Playboys.  It was a center of Texas Swing.

And talking about clubs.  When I was young growing up in Fort Worth, there was an area downtown called Hell's Half Acre were there were bars and who know's what.  I recall a bar that was a block long that extended from Main street to Commerce St. right on the cattle drive route "Commerce St.) near the south end of downtown near the T&P railroad tracks, where cowboys could stop and have a drink at the end of the trail.

Here is the Wikipedia description.  “Hell's Half Acre was a rough and rowdy precinct of Fort Worth, Texas originating during the early to mid 1870s in the Old Wild West.
The half acre block was originally designated from tenth street to fifteenth street while intersecting with Houston street, Main street, and Rusk street with Throckmorton and Calhoun streets established as boundaries. The Chisholm Trail and Texas and Pacific Railway were branded as the economic driving force leading to the progressive development of the rambunctious red-light district.
Hell's Half Acre consisted of boarding houses, brothels, gambling parlours, hotels, saloons, and a sparse assortment of mercantile businesses. The twenty-two thousand square foot ward caught the glimpse of such Old West personalities as Bat Masterson, Butch Cassidy, Doc Holliday, Etta Place, Luke Short, Sam Bass, Sundance Kid, and Wyatt Earp.
By 1919, Fort Worth's "Third Ward" was disavowed as a den of iniquity due to the law enforcement efforts of Jim Courtright and the Protestant orations of John Franklyn Norris.”

The North Side around Main St. near the stockyards was an equally rough area, with a similar assortment of bars, whore houses, and boarding houses.  It was the end of the trail, where the cattle were delivered to the Swift and Armour packing houses.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment