Wednesday, August 9, 2017

August 9, 2017 Lunch – PPI Squash Lasagna. Dinner – Pork, Apples, and Sauerkraut

August 9, 2017 Lunch – PPI Squash Lasagna.  Dinner –
Pork, Apples, and Sauerkraut

This was not a very exciting food day.  I had my usual breakfast.

I worked until lunch and ate a quick re-heated PPI squash casserole.

Then I ran errands until 3:30.  My last stop was Costco, where I bought a 24 oz. jar of organic Sauerkraut a small wheel of Brie cheese from Isigny Ste. Mere, Normandy.  I called Suzette, who is the true German cook and she told me, “Put the meat on the bottom of the enameled casserole and cover it with the sauerkraut.”

When I got home I diced a medium onion and two apples and placed the two pork chops, the two bratwurst, and the lb. of PPI roasted pig left from my 70th birthday party in the casserole, spread the diced onion and apple on top and covered all of the ingredients with the sauerkraut, which filled the casserole.  I covered the casserole, added about 1 cup of water and simmered the casserole on the stove at low heat for three hours.

I chilled a bottle of Gruet Tamaya Vineyard Rose’ but it did not completely chill by 7:00,, so we had to add ice to it which diluted it.

It is such a light delicate wine that it should be served chilled without adding any ice.

We heated up a container of whipped cauliflower and Willy came over, so we sautéed six slices of prepared polenta with olive oil and garlic.

Suzette bought snow peas at Sprouts and we steamed them.

We plated our plates with cauliflower, slices of polenta, and spoonfuls of pork and Sauerkraut.






It was not a great meal, as Suzette said, “It was something different.”

I can not quite get used to the massive amounts of vinegar in this German dish.  

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment