Tuesday, August 15, 2017

August 14, 2017 Lunch – Amerasia. Dinner- New Recipe – Steamed and Sautéed Pattypan Squash and Grilled Lamb Chops with Steamed Asparagus

August 14, 2017 Lunch – Amerasia. Dinner- New Recipe – Steamed and Sautéed Pattypan Squash and Grilled Lamb Chops with Steamed Asparagus

I ate ½ of an onion bagel smeared with goat cheese and garnished with slices of onion for breakfast.

Then we rode to Campbell Rd. and back.

I went to the bank at 1:00 and then the one block to Amerasia for a quick Dim Sum meal of Steamed Buns filled with BBQ Pork and bean paste (Cha Siu Bao) made with fluffy yeasted Chinese Milk Bread and a small bowl filled with wedges of deep fried tofu filled wood ear and shiitake mushroom that have been rehydrated and cooked in a salty broth.



Hyangmi, who bought the restaurant from Mickey years ago and moved it to its new location at 800 3rd St. NW has known me since she began serving me dim sum at Amerasia thirty years ago, so she usually offers me a little something extra, which I notice that she does to almost everyone.  Today’s treat was a fried dumpling coated with sesame seeds and filled with a red plum bean paste.  The Cha Siu Bao  are my favorite.  I try to sit near the kitchen so I am the first to be served or order them rather than wait for the cart to reach me, so they are really warm.

After lunch I went home and worked until 6:30.

When I made it to the kitchen Suzette had already been to the garden and picked two pattypan squash and a handful of basil leaves.  She then cooked one of the squashes in the microwave for 7 minutes and then diced the pattypan squash and  ½ of an onion.  Then she sautéed the onion with a couple of minced cloves of garlic and the diced cubes of pattypan with butter and olive oil in a large skillet.  After a few minutes she added the chopped basil leaves and finished the dish with a large T. of honey.

She salted and peppered and grilled six lamb chops and grilled them for about fifteen minutes and brought them in and covered them with foil while she de-stemmed the tough ends off and steamed asparagus for about six minutes.

I went to the basement and fetched a bottle of 2013 Famille Perrin Reserve Red from Cotes Du Rhone, a blend of 50% Grenache and 50% Syrah grapes.  I prefer a red French Cotes Du Rhone or Spanish Rioja red with grilled lamb.


Willy arrived around 6:15 and we ate around 6:45.


This is the best squash dish I have eaten in a very long time, tender squash lightly sautéed with onion, garlic and basil leaves and a touch of honey.

After dinner Willy took a walk to the river and we went out into the front yard to see the most radiant sunset I have seen in years; a golden sky filled with clouds and streaks of gold.

I was still hungry so I toasted a piece of seven grain bread and smeared it with Skippy Smooth peanut butter and honey.

We then packed the wine carrying case with eight bottles of wine for the trip (3 champagnes, 2 reds, and 3 whites) and my surf shoes that I will wear to the beach and bike riding in Maine.  I then went to the bedroom and packed my suitcase with a few basics.

Willy said goodbye around 8:30 and we were in bed by 9:30.  We were both a bit sore from riding and a full day of work. Suzette went to sleep and I read Hidden Figures, this month’s book club selection until 11:00.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment