Wednesday, March 8, 2017

March 7, 2017 Lunch - Da Lat. Dinner - Sautéed Brats with whipped potatoes, Sauerkraut, and sautéed Onios and Chard

March 7, 2017 Lunch –Da Lat.  Dinner – Sautéed Brats and Sauerkraut with sautéed onion and Chard

Today I met Terry at Da Lat for mussels.  About a dozen mussels are sautéed in either a tamarind sauce, which Terry ordered, or a ginger sauce, which I ordered.  The dish is served with a side of rice garnished with a few pieces of julienned fresh carrot and daikon and three slices of cucumber with decoratively scored skin.   Enjoyed the plump green lip mussels, although today they seemed not as succulent as last time.

I called a Suzette and she recommended brats, so at 5:30 I began peeling potatoes.  Weren't they were it on to boil, I went to the garden and plucked a basket full of chard, a few sage leaves and a stalk of garlic.

I sliced 1 ½ large onions and sautéed them over low heat until they softened.  Then I added the garlic, sage and chard and covered the large skillet with a wok cover and let the mixture sweat to cook the chard.  While I was doing this Suzette made whipped potatoes I the Kitchen Aid by adding butter and heavy cream to the boiled potatoes.

She then sautéed 6 brats in a large skillet and added 1 lb. of Sauerkraut bought at Sprouts.

Willy arrived a little before 8:00 just as we were finishing cooking and joined us for dinner.  I drank La Ferme Julien rose’ from Provence, Suzette drank a beer, and Willy drank water.  We all agreed, it was a great dinner.

I really liked the new dish I created;  the combination of slowly sautéed onion to which was added a pile of bite sized pieces of chard, a chopped stalk of young garlic greens, and about ten sliced sage leaves.  I sweated the greens after adding them, which allowed the ingredients to combine without forcing them to collapse in oil, thus retaining some of their freshness.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment