Tuesday, March 21, 2017

March 20, 2017 Lunch – Azuma. Dinner Vichyssoise and Salad

March 20, 2017  Lunch – Azuma. Dinner Vichyssoise and Salad

I had a podiatry appointment at 11:00 after which I went to Azuma on Paseo because I had not eaten breakfast.  They would not make my favorite, the Chirashi Donburi with my favorite 12 pieces of seafood unless I paid extra, so I drove to my off favorite Azuma on San Mateo near Montgomery Plaza and ordered my usual with my favorite pieces of seafood plus a little seaweed salad band squid
March 20, 2017  Lunch – Azuma. Dinner Vichyssoise and Salad

I had a podiatry appointment at 11:00 after which I went to Azuma on Paseo because I had not eaten breakfast.  They would not make my favorite, the Chirashi Donburi with my favorite 12 pieces of seafood unless I paid extra, so I drove to my favorite Azuma on San Mateo near Montgomery Plaza and ordered my usual with my favorite pieces of seafood plus a little seaweed salad and squid salad and got it all just the way I like it and felt like I had made it back home to my family safely.   I ate ½ of my lunch and packed up the other ½ for later and drove home.
I
I finished my first edit of the docketing statement by 4:00.  I brought the corned beef in from the garage and put a shredded head of cabbage into the crock pot and then rode to Rio Bravo and back at 4:30.  I had a head wind riding south and a tail wind riding home, which is perfect.  You push hard on the way out and relax and get pushed back home on the way home.

Suzette was at home when I returned.  She informed me that the corned beef would not be ready for dinner because it took longer than three hours to cook cabbage in a crock pot and that we were missing the carrots and potatoes that needed to be cooked with the corned beef and cabbage.  How did I not know this?  Perhaps because I was not raised in a mostly German community in rural Pennsylvania?

So I peeled and diced three carrots, four medium potatoes, and a medium red onion and Suzette put them into the crock pot.

We decided to eat PPI Vichyssoise and a salad for dinner.  Suzette wanted to make croutons, so I diced and filled a 1 gallon freezer bag full of several day old Fano baguette. Suzette added olive oil and salt to coat the bread cubes, shook the bag to coat and then baked the bread cubes in the oven for about 15 minutes until they turned into golden brown croutons.  Willy called and I told him of the change in the menu and he joined us about 45 minutes later.  This gave us time to go to the garden to pick lettuce, for Suzette to immerse it in a sink full of cool water to wash it thoroughly, for me to cube an avocado and two Roma tomatoes, for Suzette to hard boil a dozen eggs for dill egg salad and to slice two of them and add the sliced eggs to the salad, and for me to slice and add 4 oz. of red onion.  Willy arrived and freshened the salad dressing by adding lemon juice and olive oil.  Suzette went to the garden and snipped a handful of chives, which I thinly sliced and the she went to the garage to fetch the bucket of Vichyssoise and filled soup bowls with the soup and tossed the salad.

We showed Willy the newly framed and hung art and he liked one of Suzette’s Chinese folk art paintings, which Suzette let him take to his apartment.  While we were talking in the living room, Luke called and we had a family chat for about fifteen minutes.

I then opened and poured glasses of white Cotes Du Rhone Famille Perrin 2014 ($6.99 at Trader Joe’s) and we were ready to eat.

We each filled salad bowls with salad and I sprinkled chives on top of the soup and we feasted as we watched Rachel Maddow’s coverage of the first day of the U.S. House’s Intelligence Committee investigation of Russian hacking into the 2016 election.  I had the same feeling I felt during Watergate.  That slow seismic shift of political power caused by the corruption of a Republican President.  I expect this will end the same way; with lots of folks going to jail and Trump being impeached.   It looks like Paul Ryan may be the winner in this re-enactment of the Republicans over zealous effort to win an election.

Willy loved the croutons and took a few extra for his second bowl of salad.

I went to bed at 9:00 after more art discussion. We are in the midst of Suzette examine the art we have stored in the closets and under beds and getting much of it framed.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment