Sunday, March 26, 2017

March 24, 2017 Lunch – Vichyssoise and salad. Dinner – Boiled Shrimp, Gazpacho, and Grilled Artichokes

March 24, 2017 Lunch – Vichyssoise and salad. Dinner – Boiled Shrimp, Gazpacho, and Grilled Artichokes

For lunch I finish the Vichyssoise and pick greens from the garden and make a salad garnished with tomato and egg salad.  I eat outside so I can smell the wisteria that is blooming on our patio.  I also pick three tulips that are blooming also.

After work until 5:00 and then doze in front of the TV until Suzette gets home at 5:10.  I make open faced sandwiches of pate and cheese and drink the last of the Cherry Blossom Pinot Noir (Trader Joe’s $4.99). Pleasant but not great.

We decide to eat shrimp and gazpacho with Gruet Rose Champagne, rather pink and red meal.  I fetch the three cucumbers, the bag of ripe Roma tomatoes, and head of celery from the garage fridge.

Suzette’s Gazpacho

Suzette plunges the five or six Roma tomatoes into boiling water to peel them.  She then puréed  bread soaked in Clamato, tomatoes, ½ of a red bell pepper, ½ medium onion, two cucumbers and a few stalks of celery plus a few basil leaves, salt and some Clamato to produce a thick soup.

We garnish the gazpacho with croutons





I make a cocktail sauce for the shrimp by mincing a shallot and the juice of ½ lemon and then combining mayonnaise, horseradish, catsup.  In my opinion, the combination of cocktail sauce and my preferred sauce of minonette sauce is a mistake.  Perhaps I tried to combine the two because I felt like the tarragon I usually use was not ready to pick.  Big mistake. Next time I will make two separate sauces as I usually do.

I cut two artichokes and Suzette grilled them.  I refreshed the PPI mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon, and dill sauce by adding more mayonnaise, lemon juice, and a bit of olive oil.  The sour cream was still noticeable, so I was not totally happy with this sauce either.

We enjoyed the fresh gazpacho, shrimp, and artichoke.  We decided to open the new bottle of Gruet Rose champagne.  It was lovely, a full bodied Pinot noir based champagne.

I ate a lot of food for dinner.

Unfortunately, I ate some cake after dinner and suffered some indigestion.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment