Wednesday, March 1, 2017

February 28, 2017 Lunch – Que Huong. Dinner –Lamb Stew and Corn bread

February 28, 2017 Lunch – Que Huong. Dinner –Lamb Stew and Corn bread

Aaron came by and we went to his favorite Vietnamese restaurant, Que Houng at the corner of Louisiana and Central.because he wanted a grilled chicken dish.  He ordered grilled chicken in a bowl of bun, but only ate the chicken.  I ordered my usual winter dish, a bowl of pho with slices of meatball and raw beef.  I now like my Vietnamese/Miso soup that I make at home better.  One less reason to go out to lunch for Vietnamese food.

Last night I had diced two onions, four carrots, and five medium russet potatoes and Suzette had put them in the crock pot and covered them with water.  This morning I butchered the 2.5 lb. of lamb meat I bought at El Super and put the bones into the crock pot.  I then sautéed the diced meat in 2 T. of canola oil with six or seven cloves of garlic and then added that to the crockpot.  At 4:00 I diced three or four stalks of celery, five or six mushrooms and an eggplant and added those ingredients to the crockpot plus a bottle of Guinness beer Willy had brought last night.

After Suzette came home we decided to make cornbread to eat with the stew.  We found the Betty Crocker recipe and baked it in a Pyrex 9x9 inch baking dish.

I removed the lamb bones to make room for the celery, mushrooms and eggplant and went to the garden and picked a handful of fresh oregano and chopped it and added the approximately1/3 cup to the stew.

By 7:00 everything was ready and we ate stew with warm cornbread slathered with Irish butter and dabbed with honey.  Willy came by at 8:00 and ate some stew and cornbread and we watched the President and the Democratic response and a bunch of commentary on their speeches.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment