Thursday, June 2, 2016

June 1, 2016 A Day of Simple Menus. Breakfast – Granola, Lunch – Pho Noodle Soup. Dinner – Grilled Pork Steaks, Boiled Corn in the Cob and Asparagus and Black Beans

June 1, 2016 A Day of Simple Menus. Breakfast – Granola,  Lunch – Pho Noodle Soup. Dinner – Grilled Pork Steaks, Boiled Corn in the Cob and Asparagus and Black Beans 

I started the day with a bowl of granola, Kirtland's Greek Yogurt, Blueberries, ½ diced fresh apricot, and milk.

It turned cool, so for lunch I decided to use the PPI grilled ribeye steak to make Pho noodle soup, I went to the garden and picked a handful of chard leaves, several snow peas, several basil leaves, and about six garlic scapes. I heated about 2 quarts of water with a beef boullion cube to create a stock to which I added, 1/3 minced onion, ½ cup of diced ribeye, the diced garlic scapes, three or four diced stalks of asparagus  a handful of dry rice stick noodles, and the cleaned snow peas.  I then added the last 1/2 T. of red miso and 1 T. of white miso, an oyster mushroom, and a diced stalk of celery and the green tops of three Mexican green onions. I added the chard and tasted the soup and it lacked flavor, so I added six heads on shrimp plus 1 T. each of Chinese Cooking Wine and medium soy and a dash of sesame oil.

I fetched the bag of cilantro, the Hoisen Sauce and Sriracha from the fridge and when then the noodles were soft, I sliced a lime in half and ate two bowls of soup.  There was enough left for another small meal.

I worked until 3:30 and then went to the bank.  After I returned home I rode to Rio Bravo into an approximately 10 MPH wind out of the South, which made the return ride a breeze.

I had thawed two pork steaks, so when Suzette arrived hungry at 6:00 I was ready to cook dinner.  I fetched the four ears of corn from the garage fridge and the asparagus Suzette had brought home yesterday.  I snapped 12 stalks of asparagus and husked the corn, while Suzette heated the PPI black beans Willy had left from making enchiladas and mixed a rub for the pork steaks made with achiote mixed with olive oil, smoked paprika, sea salt and black pepper and rubbed it onto the steaks and grilled them.  Suzette also heated a pot with water and boiled the corn and asparagus.

When the pork steaks were cooked to medium rare by 6:30, Suzette plated the ingredients and we dabbed Mexican Crema on the black beans to make a delicious sauce former the pork and we ate dinner.  I opened a chilled bottle of 2015 Clavijo Spanish rose’ (Total Wine $8.99 less 20%) and we had a lovely dinner, while we watch the first period of the second game of the Stanley Cup Finals between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the San Jose Sharks.

I went to meditate at 6:55 and returned around 8:20 in time to see the Sharks tie the score 1 to 1 and send the game to overtime.  2 ½ minutes into overtime the Penguins scored the winning goal to take a 2 to 0 lead in the Finals.  The Penguins seemed to be faster tonight.

I ate a chunk of Trader Joe’s Bittersweet chocolate with almonds and a glass of cognac with a dash of Cointreau for dessert during the game.

Suzette went to bed around 10:00 after we watched the Antiques Roadshow from Baton Rouge that she had missed on Monday and I went to bed around 10:30.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment