Monday, June 6, 2016

June 6, 2016 Lunch – Chicken Salad. Dinner – Madras Chicken a Curry with Raita and rice

June 6, 2016 Lunch – Chicken Salad. Dinner – Madras Chicken a Curry with Raita and rice

I am back on the vida pura track.

Breakfast was granola, yogurt, blueberries and a little milk.

Lunch was a salad with greens picked fresh from our garden plus cucumber, tomato, green onion, and a chopped chicken supreme dressed with a tarragon vinaigrette.  I also made a Swiss cheese melted cheese sandwich


I discussed dinner with Willy and between chicken enchiladas and chicken curry, he chose Chicken curry.

I have made the same chicken curry for many years, so am good at timing and measuring the ingredients.  The main rule of the recipe is to use the same amount of each of the main ingredients; chicken, sweet potato, apple, and onion.  

 I started by boiling until cooked three bones in chicken breasts. I diced two onions, three apples, and two medium sweet potatoes. I reserved the chicken stock when the chicken breasts were cooked and chopped the chicken breasts.  

I then Sauteed the diced onions and sweet potatoes in 2 T. butter and 2 T. canola oil.  When the onions and potatoes were soft, I added the apples.  I added Five cloves of chopped garlic and 2 or 3 T of curry powder and 1 T. salt.  Then I added enough chicken stock to cover the ingredients by 1 inch of liquid and added the chicken and ¾ cup of raisins and simmered the ingredients for about 1 hour while we made the rice and Raita.

For the Riata, I had only ¼ of a cucumber and only Kirtland Greek a Style yogurt, so I  added 1 clove of chopped garlic, ½ cup of fresh mint and 1 T. each of coriander and cumin seeds sauteed to brown in a wok with a tsp. of sesame oil.

Suzette helped make the 2 cups of rice.  We used 4 cups of the reserved chicken stock instead of water and added a stick of cinnamon and several cloves.

When dinner was ready I chopped and sauteed ½ cup of cashews.

Suzette went to the garage to fetch beers and I opened a major grey’s mango chutney, the Madras Onion pickle and a lime sweet pickle.

We drank and ate and celebrated Hillary’s clinching the Democratic nomination.

We later watched game four of the Stanley Cup and the Argentina v. Chile Copa America match.

I went to bed at 10:00.

Bon Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment