Saturday, June 4, 2016

June 1, 2016 Lunch – Pho Noodle Soup Dinner – Grilled Pork Steaks, Asparagus, and Corn

June 1, 2016 Lunch – Pho Noodle Soup  Dinner – Grilled Pork Steaks, Asparagus, and Corn

It was a bit cooler today, which is just is just enough of a change in the weather to get my taste buds savor ing a bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup,  We had PPI ribeye steak from Sunday’s dinner, so I decided to make Pho.  

I filled a three quart pot ¾ full of water and threw in a beef bullion cube, then a cut up and added about ¼ lb. of rib eye, ½ onion, a stalk of celery, an oyster mushroom, some red and white miso, Vietnamese rice noodles, and the PPI tops of the Mexican green onions.  I went to the garden and picked four or five garlic scapes, four or five basil leaves and a handful of chard. I de-stemmed the chard and cut it into bite sized pieces and threw that plus the chopped up scapes into the soup.  In another fifteen minutes the noodles were soft and even a little fluffy and the soup was ready to eat.  I added lime juice, some fresh cilantro, the basil leaves, torn up, and a generous squirt of Hoisen sauce and enjoyed a large bowl of pho noodle soup.

I thawed out two large pork sirloin steaks we had bought at Costco after lunch.

Suzette arrived hungry at 6:00 and although I had to leave at 6:50 to meditate, we decided to cook dinner before I left.  I fetched the four ears of corn from the garage fridge and shucked them.  Suzette started a pot of water boiling.  I then snapped the hard ends off a dozen stalks of asparagus and Suzette made a glaze for the pork of Achiote, smoked paprika, salt and pepper up in olive oil and coated the pork chops with it.

When the water in the pot started boiling, I put in the corn and asparagus and Suzette started grilling the pork steaks. I went to the garage fridge and fetched a chilled bottle of Monte Clavijo Rose’ from Rioja (Total Wine $8.99 less 20% during the last Spanish and Portuguese wine sale).  I poured glasses of wine and when the pork steaks were cooked to medium rare by 6:35 we were ready to eat.

Bon Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment