Saturday, June 4, 2016

June 3, 2016 Lunch – Taj Mahal Salsa Night at Albuquerque Museum

June 3, 2016 Lunch – Taj Mahal   Salsa Night at Albuquerque Museum

Willy and I met Aaron At Taj Mahal for lunch at 12:45.  We all love Indian food and the owners, waiters and cooks at Taj Mahal, so lunch is like an Indian family gathering of sorts. I ate a lot of saag, which is spinach and other greens sautéed in cilantro, garlic and chili. As always, they tandoori dishes were great.  I enjoyed the onion kulcha, which is baked in a tandoori oven.  Here is an explanation of Kulcha and Naan.
Onion kulchas by DK on Nov 11, 2008
Onion Kulchas
It tastes and looks like Naan, but it is not nor does it take that much time and effort. Its like a breeze. So what am I talking about? Yup, you are right. Talking about Kulchas. Kulchas are North Indian flat breads - originated from Punjab. They are especially enjoyed with choley (Spicy Chickpeas).


So what exactly is the difference between Naan and Kulcha? The ones that I know of is the obvious ones that- Naan is made of yeast while Kulcha make use of only baking powder and baking soda for its preparation.- Naans are usually oblong in shape while Kulchas are round.Both are made in Tandoor (earthern clay oven which enhances the taste of the bread) but Kulchas can be made on the stove top too. When you dont have Tandoor at home, you can make both Naan and kulchas in the oven. I made my Kulchas in the broiler but I have also shown how to make them in the stove top too.

I also enjoyed the chicken tandoori.  I put Raita on everything.

After lunch Aaron and I went to Old Republic to close the transfer of Railway Land Company’s interest in the Purchase agreement for the land in Los Lunas on which the SODA charter school will be built.

Aaron drove me home and at 5:00 I ate a sliced steak and Mexican FUD panels open faced sandwich on a slice of German rye bread with a glass of El Prado red wine from Rioja and a gin and tonic.

Suzette arrived at 6:00 and we went to Cynthia’s house to pick up Cynthia and see her garden.  She served us drinks and we chatted for a bit.  I had a glass of carrot and Orange juice. 

We then drove her to the Harwood to see the new art exhibit and at 7:00 we drove to the Albuquerque Museum for the salsa concert by Son Como Son as the guests of PBS, which has a table upstairs on the patio that it probably gets in trade for advertising for NM Jazz Society.

Son Como son were wonderful tonight with its nine piece band and tight Latin rhythms.  We had agreed to eat at the Museum and since I was sore I sat, while Suzette and Cynthia fetched food and drink from the concessionaires.  So they returned with food and beverages.  Suzette bought us a veggie wrap, which was a hummus and guacamole salad with lettuce and sliced tomatoes wrapped in a flour tortilla that was a little messy but very delicious and a turkey wrap that was a bit dry because it lacked any sauce, plus a glass of apple cider for me and a beer for her.  Cynthia ate a double green chile cheese hamburger and had a gin and tonic.  A little after 8:00 Ricardo arrived and the serious dancing began. I began feeling better and my soreness subsided and I actually enjoyed dancing with Suzette on the upper terrace where PBS’ table was located.

The dance floor was packed with fabulous salsa dancers, which we enjoyed watching.  Cynthia told us there are several salsa societies in Albuquerque and many Cubans, who are wonderful salsa dancers, since salsa is one of Cuba’s favorite forms of music.  It was like everyone got dressed up and cane tonight to celebrate the beginning of a Sumer of salsa dancing under the stars.  Friday night is salsa night at the Museum and everyone seemed ready to dance all summer, after a cold winter and spring.

We stayed until 10:00, then said goodnight to Cynthia and Ricardo and went home, feeling great.

Bon Apetit

No comments:

Post a Comment