Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May 31, 2016 Breakfast – Lax and Bagel, Lunch – Sushi Hana, Dinner – Shrimp Fried Rice

May 31, 2016 Breakfast – Lax and Bagel, Lunch – Sushi Hana,  Dinner – Shrimp Fried Rice 

I made a bagel with cream cheese, lax, onion, capers, and sliced tomato at 8:00 which was a good idea because I had a meeting that ran until 2:00.

Bill Turner held the meeting and we decided to go to lunch together at 2:00.  He wanted to go to Sushi Hana, which sounded good to me.  I was pleased when I saw one of the daily specials was a bento box with Sautéed mackerel for $7.95.  This one of the best lunch specials in Downtown.  You first are served a bowl of miso soup. Then you are served a bowl of salad with a fresh ginger salad dressing that is delicious.  Then the bento box is brought with four or five pieces of tempura, the Sautéed mackerel served on a bed of sautéed julienne vegetables, an inverted bowl shaped mound of rice, four pieces of California roll nigiri sushi, an egg roll, and a piece of watermelon for dessert, plus ginger and wasabi and dipping sauce for the tempura and plum sauce for the egg roll. A massive amount of well prepared tasty food.  Neither Bill nor I ate our rice.

We loved it.  I am ready to go back any time.  The owners apparently are Mongolian.

I got home after 3:00 and as I was dressing to go ride about 3:45 Suzette arrived and wanted to go to the new Canvas beer joint on Central.  

I took a shortened r40 minute ride to Candelaria and back, threw on clothes and we drove to Canvas at 3120 Central SE.  Willy said that he had drunk beers at their San Diego location, which eliminated them from consideration as a purveyor of beer for Suzette’s Field to Food meal on June 18 because they are not local.  Suzette and I split a red ale and Willy drank a pecan beer that had an overly buttery taste to me.  We each ordered a pulled pork or carnitas taco ($2.00 on Tuesday.  The beers were $3.00 all day Tuesday.

We then walked the one block to Birdland and talked to Jay and Paula, who is opening a new shop in the Lilly Barack Building, and Suzette got to see the Ultrahealth layout.

The big news today is that Willy got two job offers; one in Boulder and the other in Albuquerque.  He will probably take the job in Albuquerque because it is a full time job and because he can continue going to graduate school and help fashion Albuquerque into a more sustainable city, which has always wanted to do.

When we returned home at 6:00 I watched the news and started dinner.  Willy and Suzette went to look at a 2002 Jetta station wagon that was being offered for sale.

 We had decided on Shrimp Fried Rice to use the PPI rice from lunch and the 15 thawed shrimp in the fridge.  I also minced three cloves of garlic, about 1 ½ T. of fresh ginger, ½ onion, 2 zucchini, and 2 stalks of celery.  

When Willy and Suzette returned at 7:00 I started cooking.  I first made an egg pancake with 2 eggs whipped with 1 T. of  Aji Mirin, a dash of sweet soy, and a dash of sesame oil.  

I then stir fried the zucchini, onion, garlic, and ginger.  Then I added the shrimp mixed with some sesame sauce, 1 ½ tsp. of cornstarch and 1 T. of Aji Mirin, to make the shrimp white cooked, and 1 T. of Oyster Sauce and a dash of Chinese cooking wine and a dash of sweet soy to loosen up the dish.  I then added one bowl of PPI rice soaked with tamari soy sauce and broke it up and stirred it in until most of the grains of cooked rice had separated.  I covered the wok with the lid to let the whole dish steam and cook together for a couple of minutes.  Willy cut the egg pancake into 1 inch cubes and I added them to the mixture and stirred them in and covered and heated the dish for another minute or two and then served the dish.

I drank green tea with my dinner. Suzette had a hard ginger beer.  

We  watched MSNBC until 9:00 because we were enjoying Donald Trump getting tripped up in his lies so much and then went to bed.

We also cheered when Gary Johnson and William Weld, the new Libertarian Party’s candidates for President and Vice President, were interviewed by Lawrence O’Donnell.

Bon Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment