Saturday, November 11, 2023

November 11, 2023 Lunch - BBQ pork Ribs and roasted chicken with all the fixin’s. Dinner - Gravad Lax sandwich with Harold’s South Sider

November 11, 2023 Lunch - BBQ pork Ribs and roasted chicken with all the fixin’s. Dinner -  Gravad Lax sandwich with Harold’s South Sider


This was another fun day.  


I awakened at 6:30 and because of the rain yesterday, the sky was clearer today and I was able to see a beautiful sunrise.


                                                 Looking East


                                                      Looking West



 

I went back to bed and slept until 8:30.


Around 9:00 Suzette made us cups of cafe con Leche and heated two chocolate croissants that we ate as we watched the Santa Fe Auction in the morning.


Suzette spent hours trying to get access to the bidding platform.  She finally went through a related auction that provided access to the auction.  Harold and we then drove to Tizapan where we bought oranges, tomatoes, pork belly, Luria grande beans, and a bottle of Presidente Solera brandy.


We stopped at my favorite restaurant that Harold had not been to and bought a roasted chicken with fresh made tortillas, nopal and tomato salad, two types of salsa, a bag of roasted potatoes, 1 lb. of pork ribs, another package of tortillas, a container of beans, roasted onion, nopales and chilis, and several bags of tostados for $33.00 at 2:00.


We drove home quickly because the afternoon session of the auction began at 2:00.


When we arrived Harold lay out all the food and fetched beers and Suzette connected the I Pad to the auction site and I made a bid to see if it was working and it was.


We then all ate lunch.


I filled a lovely hand made tortilla with pork and beans and onion. Later I filled another tortilla with chicken and nopales and tomato salad and enjoyed it immensely also.  Most of the food is left, so we will be able to nibble on it for days.


Suzette also soaked some of the beans in water for Fabada tomorrow or the next day.


It took about an hour to reach the Helen Hardin piece I wanted and Suzette started bidding on it immediately when it was offered at $1,000 and I was able to get it for $2,000, which was the low estimated price. I was thrilled. It was small, but expressed the best of Hardin’s works’ mystical qualities.


Suzette retired for a nap after the purchase and Harold and I talked until 5:00


Then I napped until 7:00.


When I returned Harold had removed two containers of tequila that had been infused with whole lemons that had turned bitter.  Suzette and I and Harold tried adding various amounts of sugar syrup, sherry, and brandy until the bitterness was eliminated and the drink tasted a lot like vermouth.  We decided that bad wine and spirits were originally fixed by adding syrup and fortified wine that made it into vermouth.  I gave it the name Harold’s South Sider to denote that it was made on the south shore of Lake Chapala.





At 8:00 Harold cleaned the Gravad Lax and Suzette toasted three slices of rye bread, I sliced thin slices of onion, and Harold fetched cream cheese and sour cream.


I sliced about 8 to ten slices of Gravad Lax and we ate open faced sandwiches of rye bread with cream cheese and garnished with Gravad lax, onion, and capers with glasses filled with ice, a wedge of orange, and Harold’s South Sider.







We talked until 10:00 and planned a trip to Guadalajara and then went to bed.


Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment