Sunday, September 9, 2018

September 9, 2018. Brunch – PPI Stir Fried Pork with Eggs and Quinoa Lunch – Sautéed Peaches with Serrano Ham and Chive Cheddar Dinner – PPI Chicken Curry with Quinoa

September 9, 2018. Brunch – PPI Stir Fried Pork with Eggs and Quinoa
Lunch – Sautéed Peaches with Serrano Ham and Chive Cheddar
Dinner – PPI Chicken Curry with Quinoa

A rather eclectic food day.  We are making things to take on the transatlantic flight.  Yesterday it was Tropical Fruit Salad.  Today. I made Quinoa Tabouli and Suzette made banana nut bread with buttermilk and chopped pecans.

I started by soaking Bulgar wheat in hot water, but Suzette said the Bulgar was bad and we decided to use Quinoa when I found a recipe for it on the Internet.

I cooked 2/3 cup of Quinoa which produced 4 cups of cooked quinoa.

The recipe called for two cups of cooked quinoa, so I had two cups left.

Here is the recipe.

Quinoa Tabouli With Parsley & Mint

Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min
Serves 4
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 cucumber, skin on, seeded and diced into small cubes
  • 1 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
  • 1/2 cup quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (like Real Salt brand)
Recipe: Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and salt in the bottom of a large bowl. Add the garlic to the dressing and let it marinate while you prepare the other ingredients; discard the garlic halves before adding the rest of the ingredients. Fold in the rest of the ingredients and chill. Serve cold or room temperature.



When I finished the tabouli, I decided to make brunch, I prepared one of my favorite dishes, Egg Foo Young Fried Rice.  I stir fried the PPI Pork and Napa Cabbage from last night plus ½ of quinoa and stirred in two eggs and cooked the mass of food until it solidified.


It was delicious.  Just like when I lived alone and ate mostly stir fried meat, vegetables and raw rice.

We went shopping at Costco, Home Depot, TJ Max, and Sprouts.  Suzette bought green beans at Sprouts.

At Costco we bought chickens for tomorrow night’s meal.

When we returned home at 2:45 Suzette was hungry.  I suggested we sauté the two peaches and eat them with slices of Serrano ham.  I opened a bottle of Riechard Rose’ (Trader Joe’s $5.99) a good 100% Pinot Noir Rose’.  A real treat.


After the peaches were eaten, I buttered three wedges of hard bread and lay slices of Irish achievement Cheddar on them.  They tasted great with the Rose’.

At 5:30 I rode to Rio Bravo. I was caught in a ferocious thunderstorm on the way back and sought shelter under a large cottonwood beside Bueno Chile. I finally made it home around 7:45.  I took a shower to try to avoid a cold.  Suzette heated some chicken curry and quinoa for dinner. I made a cup of chai and a Suzette drank a glass of the La Granja White blend of Viura and Verdejo I chilled this afternoon.

Later Suzette mad a wonderful bananas Foster by sautéing round slices of banana in butter, brown sugar, and cognac and serving it with vanilla ice cream.

Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment