Tuesday, September 4, 2018

September 3, 2018 Labor Day Family Dinner – Hamburger Steaks, Coleslaw, Salad, and Cobbler

September 3, 2018 Labor Day Family Dinner – Hamburger Steaks, Coleslaw, Salad, and Cobbler

This was an odd day of food until our traditional Labor Day Dinner.

I ate granola and fruit as I worked at my desk starting at 9:00.

Then at 10:30 I ate a toasted bagel smeared with cream cheese and garnished with onion slices and smoked whitefish.

I rode my bike to Rio Bravo at 11:00.  Luke and Adriana arrived at 12:30.  They were hungry so I helped them fix some PPI Roasted Pumpkin sautéed, rice and chicken curry.

Suzette arrived at 2:30 and we decided to go to Costco and Southwest Food.  Costco was closed so we only went to Southwest Food where Suzette shopped for the Center.

We then drove to Lowe’s, which was exceedingly busy.  We bought a head of romaine lettuce, milk, 2 ½ lb. of hamburger meat, and vanilla ice cream.

When we returned home at 4:00 I became hungry and ate a bowl of rice and chicken curry.  After my snack we rested and 8 had a short nap.

We called Willy, who said he would come for dinner at 6:30, so at 6:00 we made an elaborate salad with yellow cherry tomatoes from the garden, radishes sliced, Sliced Persian cucumbers, mozzarella cheese diced, and we made an avocado, basil, balsamic and olive oil dressing.

Willy made the hamburgers by adding two eggs, garlic, minced onion, and chopped fresh thyme and sage to the hamburger meat.

Like gave me a wonderful Reiki massage while Adriana gave one to Suzette before dinner.

Then Suzette grilled the hamburgers and added slices of Iberico cheese to melt on them after she flipped each burger.

I went to the basement and found a 2011 Melina Chianti magnum and opened it.  It tasted like a super Tuscan with a strong flavoring of Cabernet Sauvignon, but very smooth and drinkable.

I filled glasses with wine and we each took a hamburger , some salad, and some coleslaw and carried them out to the table in the garden under the gazebo.






We enjoyed our family dinner.

After dinner we served dessert; squares of warmed cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream served in my grandmother’s cut glass parfaits.



Willy left at 8:30 and we retired at 9:30.

Surprisingly, the Ruth Bader Ginsberg documentary began at 10:00, so were able to view it in its entirety.

We dozed off at midnight, although I stayed up to blog.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment