Monday, September 10, 2018

September 10, 2018 Lunch – Amerasia. Dinner – Roasted Chicken, sautéed green beans with almonds, shallot, and mint and French Onion Soup

September 10, 2018 Lunch – Amerasia. Dinner – Roasted Chicken, sautéed green beans with almonds, shallot, and mint and French Onion Soup

I ate tropical fruit Salad, yogurt, and granola for breakfast.

Aaron came at 11:00 and we booked an apartment in Bucharest because our previous reservation was cancelled.

We then went to eat lunch at Amerasia. I ordered my favorites stuffed tofu and BBQ pork and bean paste stuffed steamed buns.  Aaron ordered a rice bowl with spicy pork and beef and chestnut dumplings.  At the end of the meal the owner/server gave us a plate of crisp fried noodle twists dusted with powdered sugar.  We love Amerasia’s dim sum.  Each dish is $3.90, so our lunch cost $15.80.



I worked until 4:00 and took a nap until 5:00, when Suzette awakened me.

I went to the garden and picked a handful of tarragon.

I fetched the two chickens Suzette bought at Costco yesterday and opened one of them, washed it out.  I then stuffed it with the tarragon and a lemon cut in half with ½ put in the chicken’s cavity and the other placed in the neck cavity and impaled the chicken on a vertical spandex rack cooker.  I placed the chicken in a 9x9 inch Pyrex baking dish filled with about 1/3 inch of water.  I roasted the chicken in a 425 degree pre-heated oven for 15 minutes and then at 5:20 turned the heat down to 350 and cooked the chicken for an additional 90 minutes. The chicken weighed over 6 lb.

I then snapped about a lb. of green beans and steamed them and heated the French Onion Soup at 6:30.  I went to the garden and picked three or four stalks of fresh mint.  I removed the leaves and minced them.  I then fetched sliced almonds and minced a medium shallot.

Willy came a bit after 7:00 and I took the chicken out of the oven.

Suzette sliced four slices of Bosque Bakery Baguette and toasted them and fetched French onion soup bowls and covers.  She sliced slices of Jarlsberg cheese.  She filled the bowls with hot soup and garnished them with the slices of toasted bread covered with cheese, placed the bowls on a cookie sheet, and placed them in the oven at 350 degrees to melt the cheese and to heat.

Willy said he would like to drink Red wine, so I opened a bottle of Tempranillo (Trader Joe’s $4.99).

I poured Suzette and me glasses of La Granja White Viura and Verdejo blend.

We had a lovely dinner of chicken, sautéed green beans, and Bowls of French Onion Soup au Gratin.

It was second night of Rosh Hashana and it was lovely having the family together.  Suzette set the table outside at the table under the gazebo.

After dinner I had a glass of Calvados and two chocolate truffles for a lovely finish to the dinner.  This was a lovely dinner that bent toward French, more than Jewish cuisine, but a good meal, none the less.

Suzette worked really hard today with a meeting until 5:00 and then going to Costco to shop for the Center, so I was happy to cook dinner.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment