Friday, November 11, 2016

November 9, 2016 Lunch – Central Grille and Coffee Shop. Dinner – Lamb Shish Kabobs with Grilled Asparagus, Bulgar Wheat, and Tzatziki

November 9, 2016 Lunch – Central Grille and Coffee Shop. Dinner – Lamb Shish Kabobs with Grilled Asparagus, Bulgar Wheat, and Tzatziki

Willy called around 12:30 and wanted to go to lunch.  When he arrived we discussed restaurants and settled with n Central Grille near the southeast corner of Rio Grande and Central.  When we arrived it was not crowded.  Willy ordered a Cuban Sandwich and I ordered a patty melt hamburger with sautéed onions and melted cheese.  I also ordered an order of fried onion rings.

We sat at a table on the patio outside and enjoyed the warm sunny afternoon.

Suzette wanted to use up the lamb shish  kebob meat, so I made tzatziki last night and put it in the fridge to mellow.  Today I went to El Super and bought two cucumbers for $.50, yellow onions for 5 lb. for $.99, limes for $.33  /lb..,a ½ lb. box of white mushrooms for $1.89, Manila mangoes for $.50 each, carrots for $.25/lb., Roma tomatoes for $.50/lb., and a gallon of milk for $2.42.  A good day of shopping.

As I drove across the Rio Grande caught in the construction traffic for the new ART system, I googled propane refill on google and was directed to the UHaul station at I40 and 6th St.  when I arrived I waited while another person gassed up from the large propane tank and then the attendant filled my tank with 4.6 gallons of propane.  I paid $16.24 for the propane and found a new, more wonderful way to refill my tank.

I then drove home, unloaded all my groceries, and worked until Suzette arrived at 5:15.  I then ate a few red grapes and lay down for a 15 minute nap and at 6:15 drove to meditation.  We now meditate for two 15 minute periods with a walk between sits.  It is micro meditation but we try hard and it seems to work for Todd and me.
Then home at 7:20 where Suzette was waiting hungrily.  I diced ½ of the cucumbers I had bought at El Super and added it to the txatziko with another T. of olive oil and went to the garden in the dark, picked and chopped about 1 T. of fresh mint and added that to the tzatziki.

I the skewered six or seven pieces of marinated lamb on skewers while Suzette snapped and tossed the last 21 stalks of asparagus in a bag with salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Then Suzette put the lamb and asparagus on the grill and went to the garage to get the PPI bulgar wheat because I was still working Ipoh the tzatziki.  Willy arrived about this time and consoled Suzette over Hillary’s loss and joined us for dinner and watching the demonstrations sparked by Trump’s victory.  Tony Schwartz, the ghostwriter of Trump’s famous book, The Art of the Deal, recently said that Trump always criticizes what he feels most vulnerable about in himself.  The demonstrations are just the beginning of a wave of criticism of the legitimacy of his presidency, just as he exploited the legitimacy of Obama’s presidency with his Birther accusations.

Suzette heated the bulgar in a Pyrex baking dish in the microwave and then fetched the shush kabobs and asparagus while I opened a bottle of 2008 Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva (Total Wine $9.97).  The meal was much better than our attempt Monday night, cooked thoroughly, but tender..  The tzatziki was delicious, as was the succulent lamb and the asparagus were mostly tender.


We loved dinner tonight and the heavy yet fruity Rioja went well with the stronger meat flavor of the lamb. Tempranillo takes years to settle out all the heavy organic sin the grapes.  I think making a reserva takes 2 ½ years and then several years in the bottle, so a 2008 is not a very old bottle.

Willy and I ate chocolates with the last of the wine after dinner, as we watched the after election coverage on TV.

We said goodnight to Willy and went to bed at 9:30


Bob Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment