Monday, April 8, 2013

April 8, 2013 PPI Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Roasted Vegetables

April 8, 2013 PPI Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Roasted Vegetables

A simple meal.  I bought potatoes at Pro Market last week ($.99 for 10 lbs.) and large lovely shallots at Ta Lin on Saturday ($1.49/lb.), so today I decided to roast some vegetables.  I diced two potatoes, four carrots, one onion, four shallots, 1 red bell pepper and tossed them in a large pyrex baking pan with olive oil and sea salt and put them into a heated 350˚ oven for 20 minutes.

Then I cleaned and sliced 1 lb. of Brussels sprouts (Costco) and 5 or 6 cloves of garlic from our garden last spring.

Suzette arrived at around 6:20 with a handful of fresh beets from her garden in Los Lunas at the Center for Ageless Living, so I diced two beets and added them to the Brussels sprouts and garlic and put all of them on top of the other vegetables and cooked the whole lot for another 45 minutes.

I asked Suzette what she wanted to drink and she said a light red, so I went to the basement and grabbed a bottle of 2008 Reserva Gaetano d’ Aquino Chianti ($6.99 at Trader Joe’s) and let it open up for about twenty minutes.

Suzette uncovered the vegetables for the last ten minutes so they would crisp up a bit and I wrapped a half loaf of baguette (Trader Joe’s $2.99) in aluminum foil and put it in the stove to heat and Suzette asked me to cut the pork into 3/4 inch thick medallions.  She arranged the medallions in the bottom of an enameled casserole and covered them with the apples and onion sauce and heated it until hot.

Willy and she and I enjoyed the wonderful combination of comfort foods; wine, bread, roasted pork with apples and vegetables, and butter.   Suzette particularly liked the diced red pepper in the roasted vegetables.  Small things can make a difference.  

Bon appétit    

No comments:

Post a Comment