Thursday, April 25, 2013

April 23, 2013 Dinner – Steak with Mushrooms, Potato, and Asparagus

April 23, 2013 Dinner – Steak with Mushrooms, Potato, and Asparagus

Suzette was re-organizing the restaurant and food service at the Center and I was working with a client until 7:00 so we were distracted from cooking today.  I thawed out a rib eye steak and we needed to eat some of the asparagus I bought at Sprouts last week for $.88/lb.  I had also bought a small container of White Beech mushrooms a Ta Lin for $1.59 and re-filled our canister of propane gas today, so when we discussed how to proceed with dinner at 7:00 we agreed to skillet sauté the steak with garlic greens and the mushrooms and steam the asparagus. 
I had thawed the steak during the day and at 6:00 had washed and poked holes in four russet potatoes and put them in a 400˚ oven to bake.  So prep for dinner was easy for Suzette.  At 7:00 I chopped about three Tbsp. of garlic and garlic greens and a large shallot and  took the soil and roots off the mushrooms and de-stemmed about 15 asparagus and she put butter and oil in a skillet and put the steak in to sear and then added the mushrooms and sautéed all those ingredients and steamed the asparagus.  When the steak and mushrooms were almost cooked Suzette said, “We need some kind of liquor in this.” and we decided to add about two Tbsp. of cognac and let that cook for another minute and we were ready to eat.  I fetched a bottle of 2010 Slingshot Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley, CA from the basement and we plated up the steak.  Suzette had removed the steak from the skillet before adding the cognac and when she sliced it it was rare, so I sautéed my slices of meat in the sauce in the skillet for a minute to cook them to medium rare.
Suzette plated up the potato and we slathered it with butter and sour cream and I chopped about ten stalks of chives and then we added our slices of steak and asparagus and mushrooms and I poured the wine and we had a fine meal.
 
This simple steak dinner reminded me of the kind we used to have in Texas, when I was a young lad back in the 50’s, when you would go to your local meat packer that had a cold storage locker where they stored meat to age it and picked your own side of beef that they aged to your specifications, usually 20 or 21 days, and then processed into steaks, roasts, and hamburger meat.  Those were the days when you picked your side of beef and picked your steak at steakhouses, like Jesse Roach’s Cattlemen’s Steakhouse on North Main near the Stockyards on Fort Worth’s north side. 
 
I put two butter flake rolls in the still hot oven and heated them while we ate and after dinner I fetched a piece of blue cheese and we buttered pieces of roll and ate them with slices of blue cheese (Costco) and the last sips of Slingshot.
Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment