Friday, April 19, 2013

April 18, 2013 Taco Party for Willy

April 18, 2013 Taco Party for Willy

Willy is leaving for Europe on Saturday, April 20, so we wanted to have a Bon Voyage party for him.  Also, since he will be gone for his Birthday on May 8 and because he was recently accepted to graduate school at Dublin Institute of Technology, we used the Bon Voyage Party as an excuse to celebrate all three occasions.  Willy and Suzette discussed the menu and they came up with tacos as the theme.  Eli, Willy’s friend, who is a vegetarian, asked if there would be any vegetarian dishes, so I decided to make beans and squash, because I had a large institutional size can of Ranch Style Beans in the pantry and had bought four Mexican squashes at Pro’s Ranch Market.   
I have been busy this week with a trial on Monday in Santa Fe and a hearing on my motion to set a stream issue in the Lower Rio Grande Adjudication on Tuesday in Santa Fe. I stayed in Santa Fe on Monday night.  Also, I went to the NAIOP/EF water task force meeting at 7:30 am on Wednesday and then stopped at Pastians’s Bakery on the way home and bought one white and one chocolate 8 inch round cake and they decorated the chocolate one with “Happy Birthday Willy” and the white one with “Enjoy Dublin” and “Bon Voyage” and bought a whole wheat baguette, a dozen butter flake dinner rolls, and a loaf of French brioche ($.75 each for the breads).  Then I went home and started drafting a Motion for Summary Judgment for the LRG adjudication that was due on Friday.  On Thursday I revised and filed a Response in a new divorce case and tried to catch up on several other matters.  
Luckily, I was able to get my Thursday tasks completed by noon.  So I then made French Toast with the French Brioche I bought at Pastian’s and went to the Courthouse and filed my Response and then to Pro’s Market to buy 4 mangos, two green chiles, four zucchini, 2 lb. of Swai filets, small corn tortillas, more avocados, a twelve pack of Negra Modelo, and 2 lbs. of ground beef.  I got home at around 2:00 p.m. and decided to use a short cut strategy for the beans and squash.  I made a mirepoix by dicing 1 onion, 4 stalks of celery, 3 large carrots, and two green chiles and added about 1 Tbsp. of dried oregano and 4 bay leaves.  I put the ingredients into a large stock pot and sautéed them in two Tbsps. of butter and 2 Tbsps. of olive oil (Pompeian Robust flavor extra virgin olive oil from Costco, I like it) for about thirty minutes until they softened.   Then I ladled one-half of the mirepoix into a large Le Creuset enameled casserole and added the quartered and sliced squashes  and a bit of salt and more oregano and slowly cooked the squash.  
True to her promise Suzette arrived a little after 4:00 and Willy arrived shortly after that.  Suzette wanted to add corn to the squash for a more calabacitas like combination, so she went to the basement and found a large bag of roasted corn from last summer an thawed it a bit and put it into the squash dish.  I had started on the guacamole and Willy took on that task and I fetched the fish strips and ground beef for Suzette and put a couple of more bottles of champagne into the fridge.  Suzette took over the meat prep.  She had brought home a roasted chicken that she cut up and put into a ceramic baking dish. Then she sautéed the 2 lbs. of ground beef in a large skillet with about 4 Tbsp. of taco seasoning (Costco) and coated I lb. of the fish with crushed panko and fried it in a large skillet filled to a depth of about 1/3 inch with canola oil.  I started on the Mango Salsa at around 5:30 and had prepped only about 2/3 of the ingredients by 6:00, when the party was due to start and Suzette made me stop, so she could set the table and set up the plates and silverware to serve dinner.  Willy went to the store to get ice and he iced an ice chest and put some Sessions lager and Negra Modelo beers into it, and we were ready.  I put the two cakes on the dining room table and Suzette put out crema and I chopped two cucumbers into 2 inch stalks and a bunch of radishes and Suzette chopped a head of romaine and we put them into bowls as garnish.  Soon the guests started to arrive, so we heated tortillas and were ready to eat.  Willy’s friend Will’s parents Jonathan and Amy, Jim Graff and Diane Souder arrived with a bottle of Gruet champagne, Mike came with a bottle of Lescombes Syrah.  Then Charlie and Susan from across the street and Eli and Greg Hicks came.  About ten or twelve of Willy’s friends also arrived, like Emily Sambano, and Allen and his girlfriend and Ahmed and Will and Eli and several more who I met. After eating tacos and beans and squash for about an hour, we asked everyone to go to the dining room and we started pouring champagne and cut the cakes and toasted Willy and talked until about 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. when folks started leaving.  
 
Mango Salsa recipe
½ red onion finely diced
4 mangos diced
4 avocados finely diced
2 Tbsp. of fresh cilantro minced
Juice of 3 or 4 small Mexican limes
Dash of salt.  
The reason for not putting any chili into the salsa was because the beef had lots of seasoning and I wanted something a little sweet for it and the fish and chicken.  I could have made double the amount of salsa and it would have all been eaten.  Everyone loved it.
Bon Appétit   

No comments:

Post a Comment