Saturday, April 13, 2013

April 12, 2013 PPI Sole in Cream Sauce and Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy and fudge

April 12, 2013 PPI Sole in Cream Sauce and Stir Fried Baby Bok Choy and fudge

I rode until 5:30 p.m. and then we spent a leisurely evening looking at the news until around 7:00 because we knew we had a PPI dish in the basement; the Petrale Sole in Cream sauce with peas and spinach.  While we watched Rachel Maddow I chopped up three large baby bok choy, 3 Tbsp. of red onion and about 3 Tbsp. of red bell pepper plus three cloves of garlic (sometimes three is the theme). Since we had a distinctly European fish dish, I chose to cook the bok choy in a European manner.  I heated two Tbsp. of olive oil in my wok and then added all the ingredients and stir fried them for about ten minutes until they became softened and then added a splash of rice cooking wine and a dash of sugar, while the fish dish heated.  When the fish dish was hot it did not seem to be creamy enough so I added some cream to it to emulsify the sauce and heated it for another three or four minutes.
I had fetched a bottle of Dry Creek Sauvignon Blanc when I fetched the fish dish from the basement.  We served ourselves the vegetables and the dish in pasta bowls.  We had a wonderful conversation with Willy about his trip and his plans for attending Dublin Institute of Technology this fall.  For example, we had only bought a plane ticket for him as far as Glasgow and a Europe Rail pass.  He said that some of his friends have suggested that he could simply go to Dublin and settle in until the start school in the third week in September.   I suggested that he could get everything in order at school and then travel and Suzette said we could send his clothes to him.
It is nice to have choices and he seems to have lots at this time and is happy and that is wonderful.  The thing he says that is most interesting is that this experience reminds him of the way his attendance to UBC occurred.  He waited a while with increasing anxiety and then suddenly he was accepted and then shortly thereafter went to Vancouver.
It sure seems to be similar.  Almost pre-ordained.
We also discussed having a going away party for Willy on Thursday night and we decided to serve tacos.
The Dry Creek Sauvignon Blanc was a little sweet for the fish dish with its rich cream sauce.  The Muscadet the other day was actually better with the fish dish because it was drier, even though the Muscadet did not have much character.   I can hardly wait to open some of our Chenin Blancs from the Loire.  The good ones have character and are dry and also have complex tannins that leave an after taste of minerality at the back of the tongue.
After dinner I decided to make fudge.  I needed mini marshmallows and chocolate chips, so I went to Lowe’s for them ($3.98) and also bought a 7 lb. ham ($1.39/lb.).
The fudge recipe is easy but I made a mistake the first time I made it with this recipe, buying condensed milk instead of evaporated.   I have continued to make my fudge using condensed milk so I had to alter the recipe to use condensed milk instead of evaporated and use only 2 cups of sugar instead of 4 cups and, because that does not make a smooth emulsified batter, I add about 1/3 cup of cream to make up for the lacking liquid or as much cream as is needed to make the batter easier to stir and shiny. 
Mrs. Stover's Fudge
1/4 lb. butter
4 cups of sugar
1 can evaporated milk
Bring these three ingredients to a boil and boil for four minutes.
Then take off heat and add a 1 lb. chocolate bar, 1 cup of chopped nuts, 12 oz. chocolate chips and ½ of a bag of marshmallows (about 6 oz.).  Then stir to combine all ingredients and spread in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and refrigerate until cooled and hard.
Tonight I substituted about 4 oz. of Butterscotch chips for the same amount of chocolate chips.  We will see how it turns out.
Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment