Sunday, April 14, 2013

April 13, 2013 Baked Ham, Roasted Vegetables and PPI Cranberry Sauce


April 13, 2013 Baked Ham, Roasted Vegetables and PPI Cranberry Sauce
Suzette drove to Santa Rosa today so I decided to bake the ham I bought yesterday.
I went to Pro’s Ranch Market this morning because we needed sugar and eggs and bought a few things for Willy's Bon Voyage party on Thursday and some yams.
When I got home at around 9:30 I made breakfast for Willy and me with toasted fresh bolillos and bacon.
I ate PPI Mapo Dofu at around 3:30. Suzette came home around 4:00 and I started prepping the roasted vegetables with one onion, two shallots, two rutabagas, the four yams I had bought at Pro’s and garlic greens and sage from the garden.  I tossed the vegetables with olive oil, coarse sea salt and a dash of white pepper and covered them with aluminum foil and put them in a 350˚ oven for 1 hour.  I then sprayed a roasting pan with cooking spray and laid the 7 lb. ham on the top rack of the roasting pan without any seasoning  and put it in the oven with the vegetables.
After 1 hour Suzette uncovered the roasted vegetables and tested the temperature of the ham and found that it had an internal temperature of 150˚.  We decided to cook it for another twenty to thirty minutes.  So after about fifteen minutes Suzette took the vegetables out of the oven and  I went to the basement and fetched a bottle of De Ponte 2011 Rosé, which is currently my favorite U.S. rosé.  It is grown and made on the same hillside in the Dundee Hills in the Willamette Valley as Domaine Drouhin, Domaine Serene, and Archery Summit (some pretty high class wine real estate).  It is balanced, yet dry and full of fruit flavor, a real knockout.  De Ponte’s winemaker is the woman who was Domaine Drouhin’s winemaker for fifteen years, so she just moved next door, so to speak.  Based upon my tasting of her wine, she is terrific.   
After another fifteen minutes I took the ham out of the oven and sliced a slice for Suzette and two slices for me and Suzette took the cranberry sauce out of the fridge.  I loved the cranberry sauce with the ham, but it had lost some of its fruity flavor since Christmas and Suzette thought it was past its prime.
I loved the combination of a great rose wine with the freshly baked ham and roasted vegetables that were heavy on the yams.
By the way, the fudge did not turn out great.  Apparently the lack of liquid on the front end prevented the sugar from going into solution and the fudge is a bit gritty.  Next time I will stick to the original recipe.
Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment