Tuesday, June 13, 2023

June 12, 2023 Lunch - PPI Ravioli in a White Wine caper sauce with Crab and scallops Dinner - Pita Pocket sandwiches

June 12, 2023 Lunch - PPI Ravioli in a White Wine caper sauce with Crab and scallops   Dinner - Pita Pocket sandwiches 


I awakened from 3:00 to 4:30 and then slept until 6:00 when I dressed and Suzette and I walked to the Country Club and back. We measured the distance at 3/4 mile, which is encouraging.


Suzette made egg salad this morning with hardboiled eggs, mustard, mayonnaise, celery, and green onions.


When we returned from the walk Suzette left for work and I  made myself a lettuce and egg salad plate and ate lettuce wrapped around bites of egg salad for breakfast.





  I then terminated my representation as appellate attorney for the pre-1906 claimants because I believe an appeal to the New Mexico Supreme Court would be futile.


I talked to Karim for a while and set up a lunch with Nizar and him for Thursday.


At 12:30 i heated the 4 ravioli n a loose white wine sauce with diced Asparagus, bay scallops, and crab.




Two other amazing things happened today.  I received payment for my representation of a client in a water rights case and I received a call from a person who wants to buy a client’s property that has been aggravated for years by a purchaser of the property.  I must have sent ten defaults notices over the last 15 years waiting for a default to not be cured and finally one was not and a foreclosure commenced that apparently came to the notice of this distressed property buyer. I offered him an easy solution to free and clear ownership: if he bought my client’s REC he could then terminate the REC based on the default, take title by recording the Special warranty deed signed by the buyer, and negotiate a pay off of the mortgage with the lender and terminate the foreclosure. It is about as easy a path to ownership as a distressed buyer could wish for. 


I called my client and she was thrilled and so was I.


I felt like deciding to take a six week trip to Spain had somehow led to the finality of several vexing cases.


I rested in the afternoon while waiting for a client to come who did not come and signing in to meditate when the meditation did not occur.  


Finally when Suzette came home at 5:00 I helped her lash together three esplanade frames in the front garden and then we made dinner and cheered for Denver as it won the fifth game of the NBA Finals to win the 2023 NBA Championship. Denver was behind much of the game until the fourth quarter when they opened a five point lead to win.


Dinner was an easy and delicious one we make quite often. We had two grilled lamb chops left from dinner several nights ago that I sliced and Suzette sautéed with a diced slice of grilled sweet potato. Suzette then sliced an avocado and diced a tomato while I made tzatziki with 1/3 of a cucumber and a Persian cucumber salted plus a pressed clove of fresh garlic, juice of a lemon, a cup of yogurt, and about 1 T. of minced dill and mint that Suzette picked from our garden.






We drank a glass of Vara Grenache red wine with dinner and then another as we watched the NBA final. 


Suzette went to bed at 9:00 and I stayed up to watch a documentary on the Black soldiers’ role in the history of the US military.  There is no precise explanation for how black Calvary soldiers were given the name Buffalo Soldiers, but the most likely explanation is that the Ninth Calvary that was the first regiment of Black soldiers formed after the Civil War were sent to Texas and finally New Mexico to fight the hostile Indians ( Kiowa, Comanche, and Apaches) and the Indian warriors named the Black cavalrymen, Buffalo Soldiers, because the Blacks had curly hair like the Buffalo had on their heads between their horns and rode horses so resembled Buffalo. It was a title of honor, because the Buffalo was honored above all other animals by the Indians.        


I then watched Rachel Maddow and went to bed.  Rachel in her terrific grasp of political history explained how the present situation in which the Justice Department is prosecuting a person who may become President of the US has a historic parallel.  It was Spiro Agnew in 1973, who was Vice President during the Watergate investigation of Nixon.  The Justice Department made a plea deal to dismiss 40 federal bribery charges it had filed against Agnew if he agreed to resign as Vice President and not run for office again.  Rachel interviews Ron Leibman who was one of the three U.S. attorneys who brought the case against Agnew about the debate inside the Justice Department whether to offer Agnew a deal and both she and Leibman were quick to say that the current circumstances with Trump are different.  My guess is that if Trump is charged with Seditious conspiracy or treason, there will be no comprehensive plea agreement that will absolve him of that charge, because his guilt must be a warning to all future Presidents that they can not subvert the Constitution and the Rule of Law to seize power by force.


I went to bed at 11:00.


No comments:

Post a Comment