Sunday, May 14, 2023

May 14, 2023 Brunch - Truffle, Mushroom, shallot, Asparagus, and St. Andre cheese Omelet Dinner - Smoked trout and rice and Orzo with Sautéed Green bean and Zucchini

 May 14, 2023 Brunch - Truffle, Mushroom, shallot, Asparagus, and St. Andre cheese Omelet  Dinner - Smoked trout and rice and Orzo with Sautéed Green bean and Zucchini


I woke up at 6:00 and blogged yesterday’s blog.  Then I watched Arsenal lose to Brighton in PL soccer and ate two pain au chocolate and a cup of hot chocolate.




Then at 10:00 I made a Mother’s Day omelet for Suzette.  Willy called to wish Suzette an happy Mother’s Day and we invited him for brunch.


I peeled the hard black outer shell from a small truffle and sliced the brown inner core into slices.  Suzette and I went to the garden and gathered about five chives and several sprigs of thyme.


I minced a shallot, sliced a medium portobello mushroom, and broke five eggs into a bowl and added salt and white pepper and the sliced chives and thyme leaves to the eggs. I also sliced a slice of St. Andre cheese.


Suzette sliced slices of baguette and put them into the toaster and then sat and read her Sunday paper.


I opened a bottle of Gruet Blanc de Blanc and poured a glass for Suzette and me.  I then added butter and a bit of olive oil to the skillet and added the shallot and mushroom slices.  When Willy arrived I fetched another champagne goblet and poured him a glass and added the truffles to the skillet.  I whisked the eggs and added them and left the eggs cook until they were firm on one side. Suzette then added the slices of St. Andre and I added 2 tsp. of a mixture of Parmesan cheese and ground basil.


I then flipped one-half onto the other half and toasted the bread and put apricot preserves and butter on the table.





As soon as the toast was ready I cut the omelet into thirds and served them with slices of toasted baguette.


After brunch at around noon, Luke called and we talked to him and then Suzette and I drove to the Art Museum and saw the Danny Lyons photography exhibit and then the new acquisitions in the Common Ground exhibit.


I discovered that Danny Lions had moved to Bernalillo forty years ago because most of the photos in the exhibit were of people in Bernalillo, although there were photos of several other places and even several from the civil rights era in the early 60”s.


We then bought a Mexican Coke as we walked to the Plaza to listen to the concert.  When I finished my coke at 2:15 we drove to the Botanic Gardens and walked to the Japanese Garden.  I sat and fought off mosquitoes while Suzette walked the loop to get ideas for a Japanese garden for our back yard. We also saw the Bonsai exhibit that included about forty beautiful bonsais.


When Suzette returned she was on the phone and we wished her mother a Happy Mother’s Day and then walked back to the Highlander and drove home, arriving around 3:30.


We popped two bags of popcorn and each drank a bottle of XX beer and watched two episodes of HGTV’s Love it or List it.


I then lay down for a nap until 6:00. We watched Poirot and then decided to make a cup of a mix of orzo and jasmine rice to supplement the rice and smoked trout left from Friday’s dinner.


We also decided to blanch and then sauté green beans and zucchini as the vegetable and I threw in a diced clove of garlic.


Willy called and came by and at 8:00 we started watching game six of the Stanley Cup playoff between Edmonton and Las Vegas and ate dinner.


By 9:15 at the end of the second period Las Vegas was in control of the game and up 4 to 2, so Willy left and Suzette went to bed.  I stayed up and switched between hockey and an episode of the Danish PBS series, The Seaside Hotel. When the game ended at 10:30 when Las Vegas prevailed, I turned the channel, the last episode of Endeavour from last season and watched it until 12:00.


I then blogged and went to bed at 1:00.


Creating dinner was like creating something from nothing by supplementing a leftover and cobbling together several vegetables.




Willy loved dinner and then ate the rest of his chocolate Bon Voyage cake for dessert with a cup of mint tea.


Later I made tea and dipped two chocolate chip cookies into the tea.


Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment