Thursday, December 15, 2016

December 13, 2016 Lunch – Asian Pear. Dinner – Bratwurst Casserole

Events yesterday prove that I often focus on the exotica in ingredients and forget about buying potatoes for the Bratwurst casserole.  Today after the second day long deposition ended I drove to Lowe’s and bought a 10 lb. bag of fresh potatoes for $1.77, which made me immediately feel happy about the dish.

When I arrived home Suzette was feeling worse, but rallied to construct the Bratwurst Casserole, one of the most basic of peasant dishes I have encountered.  It is simply chopped potatoes, sauerkraut, and Bratwurst placed in a baking dish and baked.  It took 1 ½ hours to bake the casserole, so I suspect we could have halved the cooking time if we had boiled the diced potatoes first, especially since the result was rather dried out from being in the stove so long.

The dish is like ratatouille, several ingredients that create their own shared unique flavor from being cooked together into a stew.

We drank beer and enjoyed/endured our simple fare; brats, sauerkraut, and potatoes and nothing else.

I actually had an active and exciting lunch.  I walked to the Public Library and checked out Suzette’s book.  Then I walked to Asian Pear.  As I approached the door I saws board listing specials and saw “Korean Noodle Soup $7.99”.  I went in and ordered the soup, but had some confusion, because the menu board inside said “choice of Meat or Tofu”.  I told the owner that I use both a meat and tofu when I make noodle soup  and she said, “both are okay.”  So I chose tofu and pork.

The soup was served in a large stainless steel bowl and was fabulous.  A clear broth with Korean somen noodles, slices of onion and celery, julienned carrots and omelet, BBQ pork, large chunks of fresh deep fried firm tofu, red chili sauce, spinach and sesame seeds.  A very nice soup.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment