Saturday, March 19, 2016

March 18, 2016 Lunch – Two Fools Tavern, Dinner – Chicken Salad and Israeli Couscous

 

I ate granola with fat free yogurt, blue berries and milk for breakfast.

I met Duke and Leonard for lunch at Two Fools Tavern.  They had ordered so I had to get up and find the waitress to order.  I ordered 1 piece of fried fish and a salad instead of fries.  It came instantly and long before Duke and Leonard’s order.  When the waitress next came by, she said something to Leonard and Duke  about a computer glitch 

I realized that I had ordered the perfect quick meal, a pre-prepared bowl of salad and a freshly fried piece of fish, also served with Two Fools wonderful Cole slaw dotted with chunks of Apple.  I ordered a Magner’s Apple cider, which at Two Fools is on tap.

Duke ordered Corn beef and cabbage and Leonard ordered fish.  I enjoyed our conversation.  We discussed some ideas I have about integrating the structure for private citizens growing pot with commercial production of pot.  Then we went next door and to look at Birdland.  After Duke showed me all their remodeling improvements, Duke and Leonard left to attend a bankers’ meeting and I stayed and spoke to Jay and his new employee for a few minutes. 

Then around 12:30 I drove back home and finished my pleading, filed it at 4:30 and then rode to Rio Bravo and back into a strong head wind coming home. When I arrived home around 5:50 Suzette had arrived with a roasted chicken.  I was tired from my ride home, so she decided to make a chicken salad for dinner.  She deboned the meat from the carcass into a pile of white meat and a pile of dark meat and put the bones in a pot, which I  covered with water and to which we added lemon, onion, celery, and carrots to make a stock.  Then I went to the garden and picked four small sprigs of tarragon and two stalks of garlic, which I chopped and added lemon juice to.  Suzette was hungry and put my beginnings of a dressing in the waring blender and added olive oil and 2 T. of  mayonnaise.  Then we added the juice of another lemon, 1 tsp. of Dijon mustard, and a bit more olive oil to make a rather loose creamy tarragon dressing.  When I went to the garden, Suzette had gone to the raised beds and picked a basket full of fresh lettuce that she cleaned and spun.  I was moving more slowly than she was so she took over making and plating three bowls of salad with chopped tomato, cucumber, and green onion, while I fetched and heated the PPI Israeli couscous and poured the last of the 2014 Marques de Caceres Verdejo from Rueda, which has turned out to be a very nice bottle of wine.  It is not too sweet and not too dry and has the unique character or terroir of Rueda, which is located on the Erbo upstream from the Rioja, near Burgos, Spain (Trader Joe’s about $8.00).

Suzette wanted to eat outside because it was 72 degrees, so we took our bowls, glasses of wine, extra dressing and couscous out to the gazebo in the garden and had a lovely al fresco dinner.  Willy returned from a bike ride just as we were finishing our prep, so he joined us for our first dinner of the year in the garden on this warm sunny, breezy evening.  The garden is being re-worked with new redwood borders and new lights so it is a mess at the moment, but progress is visible.  All the 2 x 8 redwood boards are in place and much of the new lighting is in.  The last major component yet to be finished is re-connecting the hoses for the irrigation system.  When Mario finishes the improvements we can add enriched soil and plant this year’s new plantings. 

After dinner I ate some dark chocolate with almonds with a cognac and Cointreau liquor while watching Washington Week.  We then soaked in the hot tub and went to bed.  

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment