Tuesday, November 12, 2013

November 8, 2013 Lunch - Hana Sushi; Dinner -Stir fried Chicken at Debbie and Jeff’s house.

November 8, 2013 Lunch - Hana Sushi;  Dinner -Stir fried Chicken at Debbie and Jeff’s house.

I worked all day on a pleading in a case I am representing Bill Turner in.  At around 12:30 we took a break to grab lunch and walked the one block to Hana Sushi at the corner of 6th and Central.  Bill ordered the Sushi Daily Special Bento Box ($10.99) and it ordered the Mackerel Daily Special Bento Box ($7.95) bill’s Bento Box came with a spicy tuna roll and four pieces of nigiri sushi and a salad and an egg roll and a few other items.  My box came with a piece of sautéed mackerel on a bed of stir fried vegetables, like onion and zucchini squash and carrots, a pile of tempura fried sweet potato, zucchini, onion ring, shrimp and potato and an egg roll.  We were each served a bowl of miso soup and I also received a small bowl of salad.   Each Bento Box comes with rice also.  I enjoyed lunch a lot and would go back for either the mackerel or sushi bento again.

Suzette had talked to Debbie several days ago and we had arranged to eat dinner at their house tonight.  I was busy getting Bill’s pleading filed so when Suzette asked what we wanted to cook, I off handedly suggested buying a couple of pizzas and adding toppings as we had successfully done a couple of weeks ago. I guess the message that I was too busy to seriously consider a menu got across, for which I am both embarrassed very thankful, because on Friday Suzette told me that Debbie was cooking Chinese.  When I got home at 5:20 I showered and grabbed a bottle of 2010 Pinot Grigio delle Venezie named Grigio Luna from Villa Borghetti that turned out to be surprisingly light and pleasant and e took off for Debbie’s house at the top of Glenwood Hills.

When we arrived around 6:20 Jeff was drinking beer and I decided to drink a Tanqueray and Tonic even though I was tempted by Debbie’s invitation to try one of the basil and cucumber martinis she was making.  Suzette and Debbie drank the martinis and loved them. 

When we arrived we were also greeted by a tray of very interesting shrimp topped dumpling appetizers made with onions baked on a sesame oil glazed pan.  They were lovely warm and very interesting. 

Debbie had made a large pot of chicken in a spicy soy sauce brown sauce with celery and boiled a pot of brown rice.  In addition she had pickled cucumber slices in mirin and rice vinegar that she tossed as a dressing over a large salad bowl of fresh shredded cabbage just before serving with the chicken and rice for a lovely healthy plate of food.

We really appreciated Debbie cooking such an interesting and pleasant meal after having such a busy week of work.

I loved the chicken dish so much that I took seconds, which turned out to be a poor decision, because Debbie had made a delicious yellow cake and garnished it with whipped cream and Nilla wafers for dessert.  I had to eat a piece of it and I found myself over stuffed, but happy with all the food.
Suzette and I enjoyed the light fruity Pinot Grigio with our dinner, while Jeff drank his beer and Debbie her martini.

After dinner Suzette and Debbie went out on the patio to watch the beautiful blanket of city lights and talk, while Jeff and I talked about how pleased we were by the turn of events in the Middle East this week, with the discussions between the 5 plus one in Geneva over Iranian de-nuclearization (which hopefully will lead to a reduction in Sunni versus Shia warfare) , the Isreali-Palestinian discussions with Secretary of State Kerry and the visits by Iraq’s Al-Malaki and Pakistan’s Sharif to Washington.  I made the Syrian disarmament of their chemical weapons seem like old news. What a whirlwind of activity and hopeful moment for a move toward peace in the Middle East.

But by about 9:45 Suzette and I began to lose energy, so we said goodnight after a lovely evening of food and conversation and went home to our own bed with its freshly washed sheets.

Bon Appétit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment